Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chickypie

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
some recycled ideas & selective inbreeding, this is a cross between the chic-o-stix, chicken in a cup, & blue swine pie.

I like cooking with ground meats – allows you to break away from the natural anatomy of the given animal & form any shape you want plus there’s no better tenderization method I know of. Of course there’s a recent trend toward letting it rot into a festering pile of post-enzymated fecal matter, but that ain’t my thing.

Chicken thigh meat works particularly well as it naturally contains a perfect amount of fat to keep it from dying out; this wouldn’t work with breast meat or lean ground beef.

Of course you could put whatever you want in this, but my inaugural chickypie contained roasted green & red peppers along with grilled Portobello mushrooms & swiss:

grind chicken thighs:

001.jpg

in a pie tin, spray just enough Pam to give your favorite rub something to stick to:

002.jpg

apply the thigh:

041.jpg

a layer of roasted green pepper:

010.jpg

a layer of swiss cheese:

011.jpg

a layer of grilled portobello mushrooms:

012.jpg

a layer of roasted red pepper

013.jpg

more thigh meat:

014.jpg

to the egg indirect (with everything but the exterior shell already cooked, phase one of cooking is really just a bake to firm up the chicken):

015.jpg

This would be a really good time to enjoy a fine beverage & some good music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dSYgd5Elk

016.jpg

018.jpg

following a few, flip onto a grid (or veggie cooker) to get some smoke & color on the bottom, this would be a good time to sauce the top if you want. Leave on another 15 minutes-ish till it looks good:

021.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

all done:

027.jpg

029.jpg

Cut that beotch open & see what’s what:

031.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

Spring is definitely in the air here