Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hike and dinner pics (lot\'s)

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Red Rocks Open Space was once a quarry back in the early 1900's. Then the owner, some how got local gov. permission to make apart of this vast place a dump. Has not been a dump for decades, although in areas the stuff is pushing it's way up. This area is now full of trails. It is a really special place right at the base fo Pikes Peak, and across a street from Garden of the Gods.

RedRockOpenSpace22711001.jpg

I can't imagine how these cut's were made from machinery from the very early 1900's.

RedRockOpenSpace22711003.jpg
RedRockOpenSpace22711014.jpg

Above the old quarry is 'section 16'.

RedRockOpenSpace22711027.jpg

RedRockOpenSpace22711026.jpg

RedRockOpenSpace22711030.jpg

Some thoroughly cleaned bonz.

RedRockOpenSpace22711040.jpg

RedRockOpenSpace22711041.jpg

RedRockOpenSpace22711042.jpg

Some old ocean floor shell.

RedRockOpenSpace22711062.jpg

RedRockOpenSpace22711094.jpg

Wings with Richard's killer Holy Smokin' Chipotle rub.

002-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

011.jpg

Have a great week all!!
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Nice cook, interesting trail pictures...waiting for weather conducive to walking outdoors here in COMO. Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Tease!!!! Man, I love that country! I'm really looking forward to seeing you in Salado.

Mike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Nice post Molly!

Did you get your canopy setup?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Hiking has been my #1 passion for a long time..the BGE is right up there. Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Pics of the mountains look great. Nice dinner too!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    All looks great. :) Thank you Molly ;)
  • Molly the outdoor Warrior!!!!! :woohoo:
  • Some pretty scenery there Molly - beautiful hiking area!!! And great lookin' food too (as always!)
  • cookn biker
    Me too Mike!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    No, not yet. I'm waiting on spring. I also have to wrangle the not so wee lad to help me. You will be the first to know! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Tony, this is the link to the area.

http://www.redrockcanyonopenspace.org/
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    You are welcome.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Hahaha...hardly. :laugh:
    Although my next 14er is in the discusion phase. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Greg!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Thanks for posting Molly! You are blessed to live in such a beautiful place - awesome. And dinner looks good too! ;)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    That's just amazing Molly I love you taking us on this beautiful hikes. Oh & those wings would make anybody "fly" with flavour looks delish
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Elizabeth. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Fresh seasoning kissed with pecan equals great things Beli.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    You are welcome Tim!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • You live a charmed life C.B.!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great pics Molly
    Incredible place to hike
    Tasty meal to follow :)

Shane
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What a way to spend the day Molly ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookn biker
    Needed it Mickey. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • That's my kind of post. What a beautiful place and it looks like a great meal too! I'd like to see that area sometime.
  • Molly - Thanks for the great photos. We have had the family out to Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Thanks.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That 4th pic from the bottom is really cool. Looks like that crevasse has opened at least 18".

Holy Smokin Chipotle rub is as fine as I've tried with chicken wings. It was super on the Grouse too. :)
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Great pictures....I can't wait to get out there again, I just love the geology of the place. B)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Thanks Molly for posting the pictures. It's nice to be in one state and see parts of the country I might otherwise never see.

Have a great week,
    Bordello
  • Great pics of the mountains. Wings aren't bad either.