Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon

pci
pci Posts: 249
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished 10 day cure on a butt. Going to let in set overnight & smoke tomorrow. Would it hurt anything if I injected one with a little maple syrup when the soak is done?
Thanks

Comments

• This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway. What is buckboard bacon????? :(
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428

I've had the best luck shooting a maple syrup injection (maple syrup and some warm water to thin it out a little) during the equalization period. This is the refrigerated rest time following the soak out. If you plan to rest it for 5 hours, inject it about 2 hours into the rest.

Here is the logic.... the soak out causes some of the salts within the meat to be replaced with water, and things are kind of mobile during this exchange. When you remove the roast from the water, this exchange doesn't' just stop... it needs some time for everything to slow down and equalize within itself. That's why I recommend not injecting immediately after coming out of the soak out. Below is a link to my Buckboard page that has plenty of notes and photo's. I also have some tips that are BGE specific.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    f170aad1.jpg

DSC09657ac.jpg

Buckboard is a dry cure that turns a boneless pork butt into a ham-like product, a pork loin into Canadian-like bacon, and a pork shop into a smoked pork chop. It's a mixture of salt, sugar and nitrates for curing. You do the whole process at home, then smoke it.

DSC03536a.jpg

DSC06154JPGajpgb.jpg

DSC05026AB.jpg

b239e89f.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Hey thirdeye, when you going to do a full on write up on belly bacon? :laugh:
    TODAY my Ruhlman "Charcuterie" book comes, (and on my b'day, too!) can't wait....
    I know I won' listen to his "high temp bacon smoking method" though. Much prefer the low temp smoke.

My question though, is:
    I've never read anything about injecting PORK BELLY, like pci was asking about.
    Whadya' think?
  • thirdeye
    Well, I'm really picky when it comes to actually publishing a how-to on my site. I do quite a bit of testing, and sometimes ask others to test it too.
    Because of the nature of some of the things we all like to cook, it might take 6 months and 3 or 4 test runs to make sure I have most of the bugs worked out. Then it makes it to the site.

Charcuterie is an excellent book, I was on the waiting list before it was published. One thing to note, the author uses pink salts instead of Tenderquick, and there is not a reliable conversion between the two products. You should consider buying some (it might be a special order) so you can stay in line with his recipes.

Click on the link to my site below, scroll to the very bottom of the homepage, and click on the orange box. Then send me an e-mail. I will send a return with some of the changes I have made to the recipe in Charcuterie as well as a belly bacon write up from a friend.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Yeah, that all totally makes sense! I do hope you do it some fine day though!

Thank you thirdeye, for your generous offer.
    I sent you an e-mail!
    Now where's that darn UPS truck??

Oh So has anybody injected pork belly?
  • EgginTiger wrote:
    What is buckboard bacon????? :(

Some of the best eats you will taste.

Tenderloin
    bbloin3.jpg

Loin
    bbbutt4.jpg

Boston Butt
    bbbutt5.jpg

Follow thirdeye's link for full details.

GG
  • I have injected with maple syrup and it is good - the one in the back of this pic was injected
    IMG_5683800x600.jpg

The above was three ways - maple syrup injection, black pepper rub, and John Henry's rub with brown sugar and soked with pecan. All good, but my favorite was JH pecan and brown sugar rub with the pecan for smoke.

Couple other times in the past

IMG_0858800x600.jpg

IMG_0839800x600.jpg

IMG_0849800x600.jpg
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    And it is GOOOOD stuff! I smoked a loin last Sunday. My third time at curing and it has turned out great each time. I give more away then what I eat ;)
    Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING