Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally a decent deep dish pie

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally, after who knows how many attempts, I got the crust I have been looking for - flaky, airy, and crisp without too much rise. In all my previous attempts the crust ended up being either doughy or bread-like. This was closer to a crunchy cracker style crust with just enough thickness and heft to stand up to all the toppings.

Rolled the dough fairly thin and put it into the 14" pan (well greased with crisco), then ran the rolling pin along the top to cut it clean. Docked it, topped with 3/4# sliced mozz (should have used more) 0.4# Boar's Head pepperoni (very good stuff) about 1/2# sweet Italian sausage, then finally a can of drained 6-in-1 tomatoes. Seasoned with celery salt, granulated garlic, oregano, basil, and some crushed red, then a good heavy grating of locatelli pecorino romano for good measure.

Baked at 450° for the first twenty minutes then shut the vents and lit it cruise another 8-10 minutes until the crust looked right.

This was a home run.

DeepDish1.jpg

DeepDishSliced.jpg

DeepDishPlated.jpg

DeepDishCrust.jpg

I'm stuffed now.....only two slices and I can't eat another bite.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    At first look I didn't see the "." in front of the 4# boars head pepperoni :ohmy: . Nice looking pie. I was just given a 12" CI pan that I'm gonna have to try soon. What did you do different with the dough?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would have to say THAT'S a WINNER!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That looks like a fine pie. I have never tried deep dish, but you might just push me.
  • How about that dough recipe?
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Fidel
    As soon as I get my reward for the clam contest.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    dam fine lookin pie..the malnati's we have gotten had just a "bit" more filling, but yours looks really close to the ones we ordered...and paid dearly for no less..LOL
  • Can I make the declaration here or do I need to make a new / separate thread?
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great looking pie Rod. :P Glad it came out just right for you.

I still watch and read and learn. I have been wanting to make another pizza soon. When the oral surgeon is done with Cindy's mouth I try another one.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    That looks money right there. I've never made deep dish (Chicago style) before. I think I need to.
  • Fidel
    It needed more, no doubt, but a 14" pie holds a lot more stuff than I thought it would.

I need a 10" pan is what I need. That would make it more manageable. Same amount of ingredients would fill it up nicely.

All in I think I might have put $9-$10 into this pie.
  • Wow, that looks a lot better than decent! :laugh:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I know Malnatis sells their 9" pans....we paid $100 for 6 9" pies.....they were very good but the price is questionable....they do sell their pans but I'm sure you could find something local for a much better price...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    14" is a HUGE deep dish!! I use a 10" CI frying pan for mine. Grocery store dough ball (those seem to work much better for deep dish pies than for any other style). Even at only 10", attsa lotta pie!! Mine are probably at least an inch thick.

Looks like you nailed it though. The crust looks great!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Man o' Man. Looks like it might be one for the books. Congrats. Makin my mouth water.
  • Fidel
    Very similar to one posted by LargeMarge a few months back. I made a few alterations on his dough and this is what I've decided works for me.

300g Unbleached All Purpose Flour
    85g Semolina
    45g Yellow cornmeal
    206g water
    1/4c olive oil
    1 tbsp melted butter
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp instant yeast

Mi the flour, cornmeal, and semolina together. Then put about 2/3 of that mixture into the mixing bowl. Add all the water. Stir to combine and let it rest for 20-30 minutes to hydrate the flour. Add the salt and yeast to the remaining flour/cornmeal/semolina dry mixture. Stir to combine.

After the 20-30 minute hydration period has concluded add the remaining dry ingredients and begin kneading in the mixer on slow. Drizzle the olive oil in slowly to bring it all together, then drizzle in the melted butter. Knead on speed 2 for 10 minutes after it has all come together. This is a very oily dough, so it should be very supple and smooth.

Roll it into a tight ball, put it in a covered container and leave it in the fridge for 2-3 days (or more). It won't rise much, maybe increased 30% in volume over 2 days. The day you plan to cook, bring it out 4-5 hours before to warm and relax. It still won't rise much. Most of the rise will be during the oven spring. When you cook open the dome after 5 minutes or so and pop any bubbles with a fork.
  • Fidel,

That looks amazing!
  • That looks and sounds so good Fidel.
  • NM
    Judy in San Diego
  • I can taste it already! Thanks for being a lab person, that's what I live for!

The best compliment is that I'm gonna try to imitate you...in making this dish, I mean.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Fidel, the deep dish pie crust looks awesome....not soggy in the least!

If I recall from your previous posts, 6 in 1 tomatoes are a brand of tomatoes or tomato sauce?????
  • Looks great all around. Thanks for posting the dough recipe.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Yikes, that looks absolutely incredible! Nice!
  • Rebecca:

I don't want to steal Rod's thunder here, but I can tell you that 6-in-1 is a brand of ground tomatoes in extra-heavy puree. They are 28-oz. cans. I ordered several cans of them and they are really good.

http://www.escalon.net/6in1.aspx
    Judy in San Diego
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I gave up this fight a long time ago. The closest I've ever come to having a real chicago pizza is at Pizzeria Uno here in PA, but having never been to Chicago I don't know if it is the real deal to begin with. But, I love that stuff regardless & that's what I've tried to duplicate with absolute zero success. Have you had Uno, & how did your method compare?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Fidel
    yea, what she said.

I buy 12 cans at a time. They are great for any kind of red sauce. They have a very distinct flavor.
  • Fidel
    I've never had Uno. I've had Malnati's which is similar. Mine is pretty close to Malnati's but still not quite as flaky. I am starting to think that Malnati uses frozen then grated butter or shortening (or maybe both) in their dough to get a flakiness somewhere between a pizza dough and a pie crust.

The flavor was spot on, the crunch factor was spot on, but missing something in the layering.

If I get my hands on a smaller pan I'll try this more often, but making such a big pie it takes 3 days to eat the doggone thing, so I get burned out on it for a few weeks or so before I can make another.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    you're right about the pie crust flavor. I've always thought Uno crust tasted like pie dough with the texture of a flaky biscuit & the appearance of pizza dough. How they do that seems nothing short of magic though, there is some critical step(s)/ingredient(s) that I've missed in my efforts. This is the single food that has caused me aggravation, something food should not do
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Wow. Impressive. Looks as good as any of the pies we see around here, and probably tastes better. Kudos.
  • Uno is the real deal. One of the "originals". Their crust is very different than Malnati's.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Now that looks fantastic... Reminds me of the pie I got in Chicago the last time I was there.

Nice...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com