Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGG Question

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why don't the big box stores carry Big Green Egg? They sell $1,000+ gassers and even fake ceramic grills, but no eggs? Why?
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    hahaha - if you think you see the occasional post NOW about dealers not knowing the product or not understanding the warranty, imagine what it would be like if HD sold 'em!!

I would bet it's a choice BGE made - and I'm glad they did!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Michael you answer should be posted at BGE :laugh:
    Very good.... You nailed it....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Increase profit margins... these BGE's are quite a bit price-er than a Smoky Joe or a Kettle, eh?
  • WeberWho
    I'm personally glad they don't sell them at the big box stores. But what is the egg sales department thinking? Imagine what sales would be like if they had them at the big box stores. Just doesn't make any sence for Big Green Egg.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    HD carries the fake ceramic egg for $700. So price wouldn't be a issue.

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Mickey wrote:
    Michael you answer should be posted at BGE :laugh: s

Ha, like they would announce that some of their dealers don't know the product or warranty? ;)

sending you an email, btw... as soon as I finish it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    It would be a customer service and product reputation catastrophe for BGE! THAT'S what they're thinking. And they are right.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Previous posts were probably right plus to sell through the big boxes requires a tremendous quantity guarantee. On top of that they usually make you carry the cost of their inventory as they want everything just in time. I would imagine the quality with which the BGE is produced would preclude them from meeting this type of production level.
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Probably for similar reasons why you don't see Stihl chainsaws, and many other quality products, sold at HD or Lowes. They have settled on a different type of distribution with independant dealers and it works for them.

There is a some perception that selling in box stores diminshes the product image.
  • The big box stores typically require their suppliers to reduce there cost to them, thus making them give away margin for the sake of volume.

By going the route they do, BGE protects their product reputation (Brand Image), keeps it kinda exclusive, and they keep there margins (profit) higher.
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Just imagine how many warranty claims they would have. they would not last long. They would not be able to and train anybody to be a eggspert like some dealers have, like myself.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Personally I sure hope that the new head honcho at BGE who has been brought in and ousted Jim Nufer has been following this thread. Killing the goose that laid the golden eggs all these years is a short term strategy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Think Apple,,, gives BGE more control over their product and service