Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub throwdown

Tailgate
Tailgate Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who wins? Dizzy Pig vs Bad Byron's Butt Rub? Others in the mix? For beef/pork/poultry.. I'm hoping to place an online order and inquiring minds want to know.

Comments

• I just trashed a full jar of Bad Bryon's ..... TOO MUCH SALT! :sick: My vote goes for "The Pig". :cheer:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    My sentiments exactly.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    RECYCLE
    I take the rubs I try and if they have too much salt, I mix them all up and use for brining. Great on popcorn also.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    You are smarter than the average bear, Richard. :lol:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i would have saved that for pork loins, i like to char the exterior anyways and just about any rub works on them, sliced thin for sandwiches you dont notice the salt as much
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ya just can't beat Dizzy Pig. Great variety for all kinds of tastes. I have to throw in another one to confuse you...Try using pecan rub by John Henry. He's got his own web site too..well worth trying to make the bark on boston butt. Your backyard will smell incredible! I love it on ribs too, but DP just can't be beat on steaks, fish and chicken--pork too though. Both great products. My 2 cents.
  • I am down to one rub only for everything except steaks, and that is DP Raging River!!!! LOVE THE STUFF!!!! It is crisis mode around here when a jar runs empty!!!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I only have Butt rub left with a tiny bit of Dizzy pigs. I like them both. I think I'll go with Dizzy as the winner though. As for that Pecan rub. IT's great. I've used it on all sorts of things. Love it on chicken too. Good stuff.
  • You'll like DP. Hey, try D. Pig's Raisin' the Steaks on your ribeyes! Just a little bit on both sides. So good! You got any tar on your heels yet? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Tailgate,

Trust me on this. They are ALL great and they all have their own place.

I'd show you my collection but you'd think I'm nuts
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    uh, you are.. :laugh: :whistle: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • That is like saying Chevrolet or the Ford Taurus. Dizzy Pig has various rubs for different uses. I used both this week. I used butt rub for a work cook and it comes in bulk failry inexpensively. Then I used Raising the Steaks (DP) for ribeyes.

Both have their respective uses, but I generally agree that butt rub has a saltier flavor. It is not my 1st choice, but it is in the rotation. I like dizzy dust better.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    :laugh: :laugh: We ALL are, Darlin'!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Wait till you hang with her for a weekend or even an evening. :huh: :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    hahahaha. looking forward to it! but it will NOT be in Minnesooota in the dead of winter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Did ya build a "walk-in" for your rubs & such? :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    What...I'm cool... :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Get your banner on your Chev and bring your mini up here and I'll show ya. :angry:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Dayum if I don't want to to be there!
    Not sure I could make the drive home in under 2 days. :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • I make it a third! Threw the bottle in the trash!

No need to try to use it in a mix with other flavors...I've got umpteen scrumptious rubs all ready to use to pick from.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Ripnem
    I didn't have a problem getting to Hossville :whistle: gas stops only
  • DP has several; BB has one.
    All are real good; so is making your own.
    Just have fun B)
  • thanks all, will order DP sampler tomorrow. Cheers!
  • Dizzy Pig.... just Dizzied up some carrots in a cast iron skillet... yum...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    every dp rub is good, fresh, delicious, you can mix them a little as well, for butts i like mostly dizzy dust with something hot added like the Jamaican. tsunami spin is his best rub though, you want that one if just for chicken. only one i shy away from is the raising the steaks one for steaks, its good but similar to a montreal seasoning, im a salt and pepper fan with steaks so its not one im looking for, your taste might be different, its top notch for a montreal seasoning. for the low and slows the dizzy dust course is better than the other dizzy dust, the course stands up better on longer cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I prefer DP over bad byron.
  • I have both, but imo the best rub is homemade. Course penzy's loves me since i have one nearby. most of the premade rubs are to salty for my taste, or have to much of a one note flavor.