Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt & Brisket together

Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about doing 8 lb Butt & 6.5 lb flat for Super Bowl. I have not had great luck with brisket in the past and a friend gave me a "Fool proof" method (we'll see). This recipe calls for mopping several times during the cook. I normally do not open the egg until the butt is done. My question is if I open the dome 3-4 times during to cook to mop the brisket, how much will that effect the butt time wise? I cook to temp but like to plan on time as well for the party planning.

Comments

• I made a butt and brisket together a few weeks ago. The butt was perfect but the brisket was too dry. I think it would have benefited from mopping several times throughout the cook. Opening the egg a few times shouldn't really effect the butt much other than adding some time to the cook. That is worth a better brisket in my opinion. Let me know how it goes.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    It should affect your cooking time very little. Just don't linger and keep the lid open. Just have your mop ready, open the lid and do what you need. There is also no need to get sloppy and rush either.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Here's my two cents - put the butt over the brisket and let the drippings from the butt baste/mop your brisket for you. Then you have no reason to open the dome.