Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:planked salmon & beef short ribs

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been doing a lot of OT the last couple of week and then have been on vacation this week for the last week of duck season. Fishless Man if you read this post get me your address as I got some baggies of goodies for ya! ;)
With season over and a lot of stuff off my plate I hope to have more forum and cook'en time for a while. I have not been completley idle on the Egg though. Hear are a couple of cooks I did this week. The first is ceder planked salmon with white wine vinigar and honey dressing. The raws:
1-9-11k1Christmas002.jpg

A really easy cook. Simply add 3 teaspoons of brown sugar, oz and half orange caroaca liqueur and a table spoon EVOO. Microwave and mix till sugar is desalved. Put salmon on wet plank and brush with the liquid. Add a few capers and a thin limon slice.
1-9-11k1Christmas005-1.jpg

Cook at 350 till desired doness. I like mine when the oils just start to weep good on the edges. Wife like hers a little more done.
1-9-11k1Christmas008-2.jpg

Add some steamed brusselsprouts and serve salmon and advacodas with a dipping sauce of about 60% honey and 40%white wine vinigar.
1-9-11k1Christmas009-1.jpg

Hears the bird to prove I cooked it! :laugh:
1-9-11k1Christmas011-1.jpg

Next up some really nice beef short ribs I snagged. I got this cook pretty much down. The raws:
1-9-11k1Christmas012-1.jpg

Coat the fat side down with DP's Raising the Stakes and a little rosemerry. Post guard while I go get another cold beer! :whistle:
1-9-11k1Christmas014.jpg

1-9-11k1Christmas016.jpg

On the Egg at 325 indirect for an hour and half till the start looking like this with lots of smoke wood.
1-9-11k1Christmas017.jpg

Next foil tight with dark beer for 45 min.
1-9-11k1Christmas019.jpg

Then back on the EGG unfoiled after coating with DP's Redeye Express for 30 more min.
1-9-11k1Christmas023.jpg

Just fall off the bone and great beef taste with out being over spiced. Hope all the Yankies are enjoying the weather. It was 77 hear in South Arkansas with full sun. Nice ride to work tonight on the Hog. :evil: I leave you with this sunrise over the river bottoms.
2011-01-26_06-44-29_244.jpg

Comments

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Dang I am jealous. I thought it was beautiful here in Denver today...66 degrees.
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    And the food looks DANG pleasant too!
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Nice ribs, J. I appreciate the instructions.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Love the salmon! BBQ'ed short ribs look very flavorful, great how-to on the cook. :cheer: I'm doing a lot more braising stages with BBQ; Ribs, pork shoulder, chuck roast, brisket, pork tenderloin. I bought granite-ware pots to braise in replacing aluminum foil, no more leaks and light weight and none-reactive to acidic liquids. Someday I should post a pic of my pots and how I use them. The only down-side is I need to wash the pot after the cook, otherwise I'm doin ok.
    Beautiful shot of the sunrise. Have a great weekend!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    JL, The plated salmon meal looks so good!! The beef ribs, well, your killing me! They look finger licking delicious! Thanks for the sunrise picture also. Really nice!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Great pics and outstanding cooks Deane! Auron looks like he is gaurding those ribs all right. Makes me want to run to the store and get some.
  • Hope you had a good duck season. Going to give it one last shot this afternoon and tomorrow over in AR
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great post JL
    The finished salmon pics are excellent.
    Short ribs look amazing :)

Shane
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am guessing when the ribs went back on after foil it was direct?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    JL it all looks TOP RATE! I'd have to say those cooks deserve SUPER SUPPER ratings! :)
  • WOW on the short ribs, Dean. They look fabulous. Your wife is very lucky you are such a good cook!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Great cooks, Deane!

I'm surprised you weren't 'One Rib Short' after returning and leaving that Pavlov'ing "fox guarding the hen house". :laugh: :laugh:

I saved the short ribs instructions - those pictures put that at the top of my "To Do" list ! :woohoo:

I hope your duck season was good. Mine sucked due to shortage of water - a few guys did "mud" hunts, but i don't hate the mallards that bad! :blink:

I did get two invitation hunts - one in the snow a couple of weeks ago - cold, but fun and very successful (a couple of doubles and a triple).

Just got home an hour of so ago from a repeat invitation hunt. 95% gadwals and we had to move a lot to find where they wanted to go, but made up for some of those non-hunt days (if you know what I mean). :whistle: :evil: :blush: :woohoo:

(Would have done even better if my %$#&* Benelli hadn't been hanging up when ejecting shells, giving me only one attempt at high, long shots). :angry:
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Those ribs look great! Jake's feathers really look good and your puppy is getting so big. Nice weather, wow I guess life is good. :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    They were still indirect after they foiling. Never direct over the coals. I tryed to keep the temp as close to 350 as I could. Would not go any longer than 45 minutes on the foil. Maybe 35 or 40.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Lack Of water on your part as well as the good boys down across the line in Lausiania is the big reason we had ducks this year. With Feltensthal being damed we at least had pool stage. Tryed something different with a couple of them. I plucked the breast then took a sharp knife and cut the skin around the breast . Then I pulled the breast off like a quail. Cut off wings and ended up with a bone in whole breast with skin to keep moist. Look for it in a post coming to you soon! :laugh: Shoot a Cotori double. Mine don't hang. :P
  • JLOCKHART29
    I washed up the waiders Thursday as I am working 3 day weekend. All in all a great season!
  • Yeah, when I was sent home with some ducks that were cleaned by a guy at the camp, there were 12 whole, bone-in breasts (no skin). I filletted them and vacuum sealed them in small batches for later cooking.

No way that gun will jam! :woohoo:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Deane, Auron and I have something in common......those beef short ribs sure caught my attention! :)
  • Glad it was a good season. We finished up yesterday and had a good year too. Worn out and now it is time to get back to work.
  • Do you have the old super black eagle? I did and had some problems with it until they replaced a little piece on the inside of the receiver wall. That and putting in a stainless steel spring solved my benelli problems.
  • I'd like to hear how you cooked the ducks with the skin/fat on. I have always thought that was the best way to do them.