Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We made Pretzels! (4 pics)

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
640Dsc00397.jpg
<p />Our spawn and I dediced to make pretzels to go with lunch today. They were great! [p]Couple things to keep in mind when your 2 year old "assists" in the preztel making:
- They are messy (especially when it comes to flour)
- They eat flour (eeewwwww)
- If you walk away for 2 seconds, they MAY take a bite out of raw dough (double eeeeeeewwwwwwww).
- They're not very good at making pretzel shapes - but squares and triangles are lots of fun.
- And last but not least...Let them eat the ones they make![p]We had a blast making these...[p]640Dsc00398.jpg[p]640Dsc00393.jpg[p]640Dsc00394.jpg

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]"They are messy (especially when it comes to flour)"[p]Chip off the ol block, hunh? (Just remembering the pic of Pop making pizza! LOL)
  • Eggsellent,[p]This post had me LOL to the point others at work were walking over to see what was so funny. Sounds like you had a good bounding time with your daughter.[p]Oh yeah......almost forgot.....pretzels look good, no grease as most tend to have. But how did they taste though? Like a pretzel or overwhelmed with BBQ flavor? [p]Howard

• Eggsellent
    Options
    640Dsc00272.jpg
    <p />Pakak,
    Ahhhh yes! Just like dear ol dad...

• egghead2004
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    That's awesome!! Did she make one for daddy?
    I know Mr. Backer must be reading this and puffing his chest way out there, I know I would.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Howard,
    We had so much fun. I'll be cleaning the floor for a few more hours - but it was well worth it.[p]They tasted really good. I used pre-made pizza dough from our local grocery store (Publix). I brushed a little olive oil mixed with garlic powder on them right before we put them in the egg - then sprinkled with kosher salt. I wouldn't say they tasted like the ones you get at the mall - but more like brick oven pizza crust (just in pretzel form). I'd make them again.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    egghead2004,
    She made a very special one just for him - can't wait for him to try it (hee hee)!

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Pakak,[p]Now that is funny. She is still neater with the flour than I am. of course, she eats a lot of it, so there's less to spill.[p]does flour have any fiber?
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Awesome! What dough recipe did you use? How long to cook?[p]Cute one you got there, by the way.[p]TRex
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Looks great. She looks like she might be a little more tidy in the kitchen that pa.[p]Spray a little water on the pretzels and cover with salt or parmasean cheese.[p]CWM
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Mmmmmm....parmesean cheese....[p]YES!! DO THAT!![p]
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks.[p]I used pizza dough from the Publix bakery. We rolled it out and cut it into strips, then shaped into pretzels. Brushed with olive oil/garlic powder mixture, then sprinkled kosher salt on top.[p]I used your pizza setup (including the screen), except I lowered the temp to around 450 and cooked for about 10 minutes.[p]I think next time we'll make pretzel bites (instead of shaping them into pretzels - just cut the strips into bite size pieces). Not that it would taste any different - just easier to make probably.

[ul][li]T-Rex pizza setup[/ul]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    I'm still not convinced that cutie pie has Mark Backer as her daddy, she's way toooo cute to convince me of it.[p]The pretzels look awesome and I'd have to say she looks as comfortable around flour as anyone I know in the baking field.[p]Big fun at the Backer houselhold that we all get to share...woot!!

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]When you say pizza dough from Publix bakery, how does it come packaged? I'm somewhat familiar with the chain and was hoping my local Hy-Vee might be able to get it.[p]I tried Pillsbury pizza dough and really did like that.[p]CWM
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]It comes in a plastic bag, nice and soft and they keep it right there next to the breads and cakes in the open fronted cooler.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Thanks, I don't think I'm going to get so lucky. Publix have some real nice stores. I usually visit the ones in Jax. for the UGA/FL game. Dodn't really have an interest in the game but extends my golf season 14 more days.[p]CWM
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Beautiful Daughter!.....What's wrong with raw dough?[p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    The image of the girl is a manipulated photo. You can do anything with photoshop. No way a girl can be that cute. :>)
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ