Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control above 450f

Options
benny
benny Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looks like bbq guru goes to 400f. ( im getting one for reg stuff)

anyone setone up to go for doing very high temp pizza, neapoliton style. 575f plus? anyone familiar with industrial temp controllers on eggs, using bbq guru blowers? what type of settings work best, pi pi? other settings, id like to play at it. but would like to know where to start? ive got a few controller and higher temp thermocouples.

.....winter time to play. getting the stuff from the ceramic grill store, getting a guru havent determined what yett, getting an xl, and gotta build a table , all by summer.......i hope

Comments

• Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The Guru goes to 475f
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Guru and other auto machines are great for longer low temp cooks but you will not need them for quick high temp cooks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My advise: learn to do the temps both low & high by yourself first with no thermometer devices. This way you can learn where the vent & daisy wheels should be and this is helpful if you lose power during a cook. The BGE is such a stable cooking device you really don't need those devices. (btw I have my digi q and love it but really use it for 10-20% of my cooks)

And yes learning high temps on your own is a great way to learn to do pizzas, steaks, etc.

Again just my 2 cents... :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i could see a guru for 250 and lower, but anything above that is a short cook. i wouldn't get one if you want to control the thing at 350-400 for an hour or so. that's just me...

as for higher temps, the egg can hit 800+ (even 1000) if you really want it to without blowers or anything. just load with fresh, ideally lighter lump (like cowboy), open the lower vent, take off the daisy cap, and light it in three or four places, closing the dome.

with fresh lump, 700+ in 15-20 minutes isn't a stretch, and after a half hour, stupid temps are possible, even with a plate setter (which should be in there soon after you light it)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    benny, I have a CyberQ II by BBQ Guru and I use it for over night cooks mainly overnight. On occasion I do a cook in which I ramp the temp up or down and it helps with that also. I use my eggs at least once a week and I use my CyberQ II about 5 times a year. It's a great product with great tech support. Not sure how long you have had your egg it looks like you have been a member 3 years if you have had your egg that long you should already know how to use your egg. So by all means get a controller and rest easy during overnight cooks or while working around the yard. Tim :)
  • benny
    Options
    yes, i do know how to use the egg for steaks and above. been doing it for over 5 years. just looking for a new toy/project. i can control an egg no problemo
  • benny
    Options
    thanks, thats what i want the guru for.

but im also getting into pizza, using sourdough cultures ive aquired from the naples italy area. to do a very classic neapolitan thin pizza, requires high temps (650 to 750 ish )and i want to see if i can control the temp (both variance and set point) so i can get a consistent product over time. pizza like this only takes a couple minutes, temp is very important. so while i can control the egg, the engineer in me wants to see what the capability of my "machine" the egg how well i can control it. if no ones played there before, I'll experiment....

ive always been a lurker on the web, even before this new site was created. and on basso site. as i get more time to tinker, appreciating the egg more and more. ive had one prob 6 yr now. just did alot more on my other smokers till now. and with an xl, gonna park the others, ill be able to do 90% of my queing on an xl and large
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for that style pizza you cant get the egg too hot, just open it up
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=411252
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    exactly. it will top out at Neapolitan temps. you don't need something to limit it once it gets there.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • benny
    Options
    didnt know this style pizza was discussed here, ill check it out tonite....by the way, the inital like is in my view correct, the moisture content is critical, an bubble size cell size and distribution is determined by combination of mositure temp flour type and how it is leavened....in my doing them in pizza ovens....want to try it/ perfect it in a egg!....i think a bigger (xl) would be better to get the air flow and volume around the stone. to get temp as high as poss when i close the lid......and incidently ill have to do research about the bands expanding.

thanks alot for the links
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the round head in my link really increases the air flow, if its flat the heat is deflected down and the bottom of the egg gets hotter than the top, with the round head the top gets much hotter. i dont post on the primo site anymore but charwoody there used to make dome clamps for the band that would hold the dome from falling out at high temps, someone there should be able to hook you up with a pic. i havent made a pie since an italian place opened up near me with that style pie, the wood oven is roughly 1000 degrees in the back, really good pizza
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't know what temp you want to bake your pizza at but, I have done 700F dome on my first pizza cook not long ago.

I started with a clean egg and fresh lump filled as full as I could get it. I lite the fire with mapp gas and set the plate setter legs down with green feet and baking stone.

Dome wide open (no daisy wheel)and base wide open (no screen) I let it roll to 700F dome and slowly closed the screen and bottom damper until stable 700F dome for approx an hour.

I have a ThermoWorks IRK unfired and put my pie on when the baking stone was stable 700F. The pie was on 6 min and was perfect. Then I waited for the stone to come back to 700F using my IRK shooting down the dome with out raising the dome...again...then I had to wait 15 min because I had to add lump for the last cook.

All in all this particular cook went perfect IMO. I did a Zippylip documented za cook using bread flour for dough.

I would not do this cook with my guru controller. IMO they cost to much to replace probes and I don't think you need the fan to get high temps and keep them. If you need anything at all I would get a wiggle rod to help with any air flo problems. There are lots of folks here with more experience than me including you. It's just my opinion. Tim ;)