Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas BBQ Restaurants

yankeefan
yankeefan Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couple of months ago you guys helped me by offering some Atlanta restaurants to visit.....they were all great!! Ate BBQ for lunch and dinner for 2 1/2 days......

Now I will be at the Fairmont Hotel on North Akard Street in Dallas for 2 days. Please help with suggestions of some great beef BBQ....beef ribs, brisket, etc. Looking for that often mentioned great dry rubbed and smoked beef.....suggestions????

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Hi Y.F. & Welcome!
    One of my Fav's is Spring Creek. There a few locations in your area. Let me know if you get a chance to try them out?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    The original Sonny Bryans. Since 1910. A Dallas landmark. There are 6 BBQ joints within a third of a mile of your hotel. This is further out, but I think it's the best. This is Texas, BBQ joints everywhere! They kick you out of one and kick you into another. :laugh:

2202 Inwood Road
    Dallas, TX 75235
    Phone: 214-357-7120
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    OK, first of all, fights have been started by asking a bunch of Texas folks who makes the best BBQ in the state, so...this is JUST my humble opinion....as Robert Earl Keen says "I don't want no fights!"

Unfortunately, you are about 4 hours north of great BBQ by being in Dallas. The MECCA (or buckle of the BBQ belt) is south, in the towns surrounding Austin, like Lockhart (Kreuzs, Blackies), Llano (Coopers), Driftwood (Salt Lick, barely makes my list of greats - maybe a really good instead), Taylor (Louis Muellers), etc. Not to say there arent a few gems in Dallas, understand it will not be the gold standard that the above places represent. Frankly, if I was a BBQ affectinado visiting Dallas, and time allowed, I would absolutely rent a car and take a morning/afternoon heading down I-35 towards Austin to Taylor and Lockhart, if for no other reason to say I had eaten at Kruez's Market and Louie Muellers (my two favorites).

I agree with my friend Steve that the original Sonny Bryans in Dallas is about as good as Dallas BBQ gets - and it is pretty darned good (although can be dry on occasions). Another good one (although peppery) is Rudy's in Denton and Frisco (a little north of Dallas on I-75). My money says they have the best Brisket north of the BBQ belt (but you have to like pepper). Not a fan of Spring Creek, and for goodness sakes do NOT go to Dickies :( :ohmy: :ermm: !!! I know there are a few smaller mom and pop places around that folks like, but again, my try of some found good, not great....

One alternative, and a nice diversion, would be to hop in a car and take the drive over to the Fort Worth Stockyards (about 30-40 minutes from Dallas). Coopers (from Llano) opened a BBQ place in the parking lot of Billy Bobs that mirrors it's classic Llano store. I have had pretty good BBQ at their FW store on a few occasions. The stockyards are an interesting visit, with lots to see that is unique to Texas.

One last idea is Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell, just north of the DFW airport. Does not get a lot of press, but pretty darned good BBQ, and more consistent than others. A knock-off of the original Coopers, and has gotten traction over last few years. Have a unique sauce, and a wonderful pot of brown beans cooking with Jalapeno for all to share. Easy to find with directions from internet.

Have fun, and enjoy your stay in Dallas!
  • Just a few blocks north and east of the Fairmont on Leonard St is Sammy's BBQ (behind the Federal Reserve Bldg) only open 11am to 3 pm....but gooood Q and great pies....Have fun.
  • There are places in and around Dallas that will satisfy your cravings but if you have some time for a real adventure, drive down to Giddings and go here:

http://www.citymeatmarket.biz/review_chron.htm

You'll have one heck of a story to tell when you get home.

Spring "Hungry For Adventure" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Dave is right about Dallas not really being a great place for BBQ, but there are a few.

I haven't tried it yet, but lately there has been a lot of buzz about a place in the Farmer's Market near downtown. Its called Pecan Lodge and its located @ 1010 South Pearl Expressway and is located in Shed #2. There's a write up here
    http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2010/08/pecan-lodge.html
    I'm thinking about trying it out this weekend.

Depending on how far you are willing to travel, Meshacks in Garland has really great food....just nowhere to sit, so expect to pick your food up and eat it in the car or somewhere else.

I still need to head over to Ft.Worth and try Coopers. The one in Llano is outstanding, hopefully this one lives up to the name.

Good luck.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I hit up Rudy's in Frisco on my last trip. Brisket was amazing and yes definitely peppery.

If you are driving, make sure your car is set up for the toll system or bring lots of loose change because the unmanned booths do not take credit.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    my suggestion is this, dont tell them your a yankee fan! :laugh:
  • Back Country BBQ
    6940 Greenville Avenue
    http://backcountrybarbq.com/

Bakers Ribs
    4844 Greenville Ave.
    http://www.bakersribs.com/About.html

For a more high-end take on BBQ, check out:

Smoke
    901 Fort Worth Ave
    http://www.smokerestaurant.com/

I like Pecan Lodge (someone else posted them), but I am pretty sure they only serve Thu-Sun. Farmers Market is a cool place, in general.

Hard to find beef ribs at all, and even harder in Dallas.
  • Can't believe I forgot my favorite (literal) mom and pop place. This place throws down some solid 'cue and is a time warp to an older Dallas that I never saw firsthand. Hours are lunch only:

Mac's Barbecue
    3933 Main Street
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/macs-barbecue-dallas
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Are you coming in for Super Bowl events? They started in this area yesterday and many restaurants have been booked for a few weeks, so be sure to call before you head to any restaurant in this area. I work across from the Cowboys stadium and it's crazy around here right now and will only get crazier (but fun). :)

Good luck and enjoy your stay!
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Definitely go to Coopers over in the Stockyards! Also Angelos is pretty good in FW.
    Someone was right about you being 4 hours too far north! Ive got Kreuz, City Market, Salt Lick and Blacks right here in my Back Yard!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Thanks for recommendations Grub Blogger. Will check out the places you referenced. Have heard of a few, but have tried only one (Smoke - OK). You may change my opinion of Dallas BBQ !!!!!
  • Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will sit down and figure out how many I can go to in such a short period of time. Can't wait!! Someone asked about when I am going. Believe it or not a customer of ours has a Sales Meeting a couple days after the Super Bowl, plus it was suppose to be week of the 21st, when we came back from New Year's we were told they moved it up.....strange.

Thanks again,
    Howard
  • Cool. Lemme know what you think.
  • Griffin
    Garnerac wrote:
    Ive got Kreuz, City Market, Salt Lick and Blacks right here in my Back Yard!

:angry: So jealous!! :angry:

Rowlett, Texas

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    I think I'll do Salt Lick today!
  • Griffin
    That's just plain mean!

Rowlett, Texas