Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Comp BBQ teams on here?

asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Post up some pics of your setup. I'm starting to consider doing it, but I can't figure out how to transport these things.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You've not been paying attention grasshopper. :whistle: :laugh: B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    There are multiple folks here that cook in comps. BobbyQ, Jus Fer Fun, and Dizzy Pig to name a few.
    I believe it is common to transport on nests, in small enclosed trailers. I assume tied down very well.
  • We're a Big Green Team in the western United States that cooks in 12 to 16 contests a year. We travel with a 12' enclosed trailer that housed our traveling kitchen set-up. We are changing our Egg transport system for 2011 by adding "The Handler" to all 4 of our large Eggs, then we're adding a ramp for easier loading and unloading. I plan to anchor the Handler to the walls of the trailer as well as securing the nest to the floor.

We have a half a dozen all Egg teams out is the west, what part of the country you from?

Here is one of our team's websites for pics- http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=CBBQA_Member_Team_-_Smitty%27s_Smoke_Patrol

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• This thread will be of interest to you...

Egg Crate
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I would suggest you might start by finding a team that you could work with for one or two competitions. After you've done it for a time or two, you will know more about what it takes and whether you really want to invest the time and money to compete on your own.

Having worked with a team or two, I can tell you that it is a committment and a labor of love.
  • Bill I agree... Have you been to a competition to work? This is not for the faint of heart. Are you into rejection and dejection? Are you ready for someone to tell you your food just sucks?
    It's kind of like explaining being in the sales industry my whole career, if you love being told NO the majority of time,walking away with nothing after you have prepared days, months and sometimes years for the perfect opportunity, get into sales.
    DMo
  • Wise One wrote:
    I would suggest you might start by finding a team that you could work with for one or two competitions. After you've done it for a time or two, you will know more about what it takes and whether you really want to invest the time and money to compete on your own.

Yep that was my plan. That is very good advice.

I want to see how I'm gonna move these things first. If I can't move them myself, then it wouldn't matter if I liked competition or not. Kinda the Chicken/Egg thing.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    We compete in the SouthEast - The EGGseQuetive Council. We only use 2 XL eggs with the Handler attached. We have a 6'x12' enclosed trailer with E-track on the walls. I can set up our entire site in 30 minutes by myself from leveling the trailer out to locking the ramp closed and turning the AC on. The nest handlers are a must in my opinion. Also, a trailer with a back ramp is very helpful as well. Good Luck!

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Is that a LG handler used on an XL or is truly made for the XL? I didn't know that they had handlers for XLs.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Came right from BGE unless they are demo models and not on the market yet. Whatever they are, they are worth their weight in gold!
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Sounds like that'll make your life easier Smitty!
    South SLO County
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    They are available for the XL. I bought one right after new years.
  • I have one of those 5' stainless tables from SAMs Club that the egg sits in and we widened the wheel base. That thing is sturdy, easy to roll around and when used with another in same setup only imbedded will give you 5' of stainless work space.