Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Large Egg Table

Options
rprice54
rprice54 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Okay, wife surprised me (totally) with a BGE for our anniversary. I had drooled over one of my co-workers' eggs a few years ago and decided when my (still very nice) gas grill died I would upgrade to a BGE. Out of left field I got the 'green' light to get one. The next day I brought one home.

I thought about deviating from the standard table, but decided since I could get a cover for the standard table I stuck with the basic design. I just happened to have an 18" square piece of finished granite from our recent basement remodel. They were supposed to keep the sink cutout for me and forgot, and brought me this hunk of granite for me, much bigger than the sink cutout. Too big for a cutting board, I didn't know exactly what I would do with it- until now.

I will probably close the bottom and add a drawer at some point, but right now, I have a HUGE deck box just off to the right where I can keep stuff for now.

I made it out of cedar (pressure treated just didn't sit well with me) but still stained it with Cabot Australian Oil stain. I didn't want to go with Poly because once the finish starts to chip and peal it will be a bear to sand and refinish. With oil- I can just reapply next year.

The slats I made by resawing 2x6 cedar into 3/4 (or a little less) slats on my bandsaw. I added a little taper to the legs to dress it up a bit. I have also added the ceramic feet on the egg after reading around a bit.

Thanks for looking.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Comments

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Nice job
    Like the final stain.

Shane
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Very nice job, you will get years of use and pleasure from it :) :cheer:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great looking table. It would be my advise to put the BGE on the 3 BGE feet on top of the paver. There are photos on the forum of BGE's directly on a paver that still scorch the table. Lots of heat comes out through the bottom.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I saw some of these same photos and posts and put the feet under my egg on the paving stone. Has worked well and is very sturdy. Love the stain you used. Wish I had a granite piece on my table. Maybe a future addition.
  • rprice54
    Options
    Necessity is the mother of invention, or something like that.

So I need to smoke my butt, and it's pouring down rain outside (it seems to rain every time I want to try out the new egg, my first spatch cocked chicken was in the rain too). I had this old kids umbrella lying around from a little sandbox we got from SAMs. First I just clamped it to the table, but since this seems to be a theme for me, I went ahead and 'installed' the umbrella. There is a 2x4 just to the right of the egg for cross support, so I drilled a 1" hole through it to hold the umbrella. Perfect!

IMG_6692.jpg
  • ikolsteren
    Options
    After a year how did the cabot Australian oil hold up
    I am thinking of using the same product - have a granite top so will really only be the sides