Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for support

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Hi guys
I'm looking for support. Since we're all foodies here you know how difficult it is to NOT eat. I don't eat any sugar and the only dairy is hard slicing cheese. No butter, cream cheese, sour cream, spreads, etc. Love fruits and vegs and MEAT, but not fish. Just ordered the 17 Day Diet book. These past two years I lost a considerable amount of weight and got within ten pounds of goal, but now bouncing back up. I live alone so I don't have crap in the house for family. I eat "healthy" good, but too much "healthy" food is not good. Gotta get control. Open to suggestions.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    whats worked for me in the past is meatless mondays, one day complete fasting, and one day fish. time for you to cook some fish and figure out why you dont like it, maybe its the way you've always prepared it or had it. tuna steaks off the grill almost taste like steak :) haddock in a casserole with some white wine, lemon juice, and some stewed tomatoes is pretty good and all the acid seems ti take away from any fish taste. and since you dont like fish you may eat less off it :laugh: now what really works is bad beer, instead of dinner drink 10 bud select 55's, last year dropped 50 doing that in about 8 or 9 months. eventually i CRAVE breads and pasta and pizza, gained back 20 :laugh: i was so close. wok cooking is always good, easier to keep proportions down and add more veggies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PattyO
    A meatless day is interesting. I do eat canned tuna or fresh (frozen) shrimp. Not scaley fresh fish. This time of year I crave carbs. Our bodies want to put on a layer of insulation. And I don't drink any alcohol or sugar drinks. Just too much good food. So I'll try that one meatless day. I can eat eggs. One egg at a time for me. I do love stewed tomatoes. I thought the BGE would help, but just helps me eat more good food. My body is too efficient. It holds on to each and every calorie. Keep up your encouragement.
  • fishlessman
    weekends are tough, dont weigh in on monday, do meatless monday, do your weigh in on tuesday. monday weighins are all over the place, too much salt equals water weight over the weekend, exercise on the weekend seems to retain water as well. discouraging, wait a day and just eat veggies, lettuce makes me feel sick, then later hungry, i eat salads without lettuce, somehow the dr said im allergic too it and the other veggies are better anyways, i stick to the cabbage family, red, green, kale, bok etc, and the leaves like spinach and dandelion.
    fukahwee maine

• PattyO
    Allergic to lettuce? It's nutritionally empty anyways. I do exercise 45 minutes everyday of the week at my Curves gym, three times around the circuit. I dancerdise twice a week and try to walk two miles on Sundays when the weather permits. It's definitely the eating, and this cold weather I am fighting the carb demons. Thank you for your support. Keep it up.
  • fishlessman
    dont know why i cant eat lettuce, i feel horrible for hours after eating it, smallest amount takes me down. like the stuff but not worth it, iceburg, romaine, bad bad bad. :blink:
    fukahwee maine

• My husband's doctor suggested www.mypyramid.gov and entered everything we eat so I can watch his caloric intake. I don't do it everyday but it gives me a baseline.
  • fishlessman
    um , the dogs or yours or his :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: um um um um..........that might not work for me
    fukahwee maine

• PattyO
    I use the "Lose it" app. Tracks weight and much much more.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Patty,

My $.02 is it all comes down to calories in vs calories burned. I just started using myfitnesspal site and app for my phone. I have a target "net calories" for the day. So far it has helped me. It sounds like you might already be using something similar.

I think circuit training is great. I'm assuming there is weighs/resistance involved. You might try increasing the intensity. Add a little more weight and make it hurt. I don't mean to imply you are "doggin it" at the gym :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PattyO
    I do 45 mins in the gym instead of the recommended 30, seven days a week, plus two dancercise sessions and weather permitting, a two mile walk on Sunday. Just need new eating habits. Never use sugar, just too much of good food. I know it's the weather. We want heavier meals. Tonite flank steak and lemon vaiagrette salad. No rice pilaf that I'd otherwise prepare with it. I know, calories in, calories out. Keep up the encouragement. It keeps me honest. Thanks.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I wish I had your discipline :). I have been doing pretty good exercising lately, but I don't get in 7 days. Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. I'm sure you will see results if you keep doing what you are doing and then lower your calories a little.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I've read a few places that you should not do resistance training on the same muscles two days in a row. When doing resistance training you are actually breaking down muscle. Building muscle and burning fat occurs during the rest period - 24 to 36 hours.

That's my excuse for a rest anyway :)

Seen a great formula online, can't find the site anymore but it was something like this:

Resistance Training + Cardio + calorie control = success!

Good Luck and keep us updated.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    research the hcg hormone diet. im doing the drops after much research and many people i know have been successful.
    500 cal doesnt sound like much. however, i have not hungered or craved like other trys.. and it does reset your bodys weight so you dont bounce back. ive lost 20 my wife 19 since jan 3. ive got 20 more to go. i know people how have lost ovder 70 doing it multiple times.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    over course i do love and think off food, thats why im here.!
  • Gotta find what works for your metabolism...enough variations in body chemistry/hormones mean that an eating plan fine for you won't work for someone else. I wouldn't ever cut out sugar, but can happily eat very little meat. Cheese, nonfat yogurt, and eggs are my friends, but I don't do sugar substitutes. A key is to look at long-term goals & trends, and not focus on weight in any given day (or week). Throw in some power yoga for sanity & strength...
  • good eating is only part of the wight loss game.you have to exercise as well.if you don,t do some muscle strengthening work outs so you don,t lose muscle mass.more muscle means less fat gain.i had a heart attack 4 years ago, but did not work out for weight until 1year ago.changing my eating habits, and now using the bge, and working out on a regular basis i have lost 40 pounds develope a work out program that fits your needs and you will enjoy a better weight loss success.
  • The key to weight loss is to trigger your metabolism.  That is accomplished by eating the right foods at the right times.  I was in a weight management program thru the University of Michigan 2 years ago.  I ate 3 small meals and 2 snacks every day along with an exercise program.  My caloric intake was 1400-1600 calories which is not a starvation diet, but it is way less than what my normal intake was.  I was walking 3 miles 5 days a week and doing simple stretching exercises and push ups.  I went from 360 to 280 in six months and tapered off.  I am going to kick start my program again and try for another 60-80 pound loss.  Owning an Egg and dieting is tough, but it is possible if you eat the right foods.  You cannot starve yourself, you have to develop new and better habits.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Congrats on your weight loss @SamFerrise. Sounds like you know what you are doing.

BTW - this thread was started two years ago.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Give Marks Daily Apple web site a look.  You are already doing a lot of what he advises.  Definitely different than the conventional calories in calories out theories.  Worked incredibly well for me.  Can't say weight loss was my primary concern but I did lose 25 lbs.  while gaining more energy and strenght.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Anytime I'm looking to loose weight I just stay off the foum for a couple days. :-)
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Man !  This is an old thread.  I think it was carried over from the old forum.  Methinks PattyO doesn't even post over here.   :-?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    When I'm traveling for work I do a living diet. Fresh veggies, fruit, almonds, etc...a protein bar if I lift. Protein shakes are great.

One scoop whey protein
    One banana
    Scoop of peanut butter
    Yogurt
    Ice and a little water
    Blend well...get skinny.

You could always drink a 12 pack...I always look better in the mirror after that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm going to second the suggestion for counting calories.  It had a weird mental effect on me and I started eating less once I saw how many calories I was putting in my body everyday.  I've lost 25 pounds since I started logging calories.  I use the My Fitness Pal app and find it useful for this endeavor.  If anyone else uses it, feel free to "friend" me, I'm "Scotty918".