Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Better Option Than Photobucket

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't like Photobucket, and I have never used it. They also ruined another site I like (tinypic.com), when they bought it. I have noticed a lot of people complaining about it on the forum over the year, but also accepting it as a necessary pain. You don't have to use it. There are many options.

imgur.com is a great alternative to PhotoBucket. I think it is much faster and easier to use as well. Since PhotoBucket changed their website design and the previous post that showed PhotoBucket directions with pictures is now a little less valid, I thought I would post new directions for a new website. Hopefully, they are easy to understand. The website is extremely simple.

If you just want to be able to easily share pictures, you don't have to create an account. An account let's you use more advanced features like albums etc., and it also allows you to easily keep track of where your pictures are. I do not use an account because I do not plan to reference these pictures again after I have posted them. I use this strictly to post to message boards etc.

The directions I have posted below are for the no account option, but they are still valid if you decide to create an account. I just don't discuss creating one and how to sign in. The directions are in red below.

Step1

12yGE.jpg

Step 2

3gfWf.jpg

Step 3

dgKkr.jpg

Step 4 - just wait for this to complete

fc5HO.jpg

Step 5 - once uploaded this is what you will see

A1TcM.jpg

Step 6 - this is optional

X4M1W.jpg

Step 7

wY1tM.jpg

Step 8

wwftB.jpg

Note, you can change the size of your images by editing the tag or link. Normally the tag would start with IMG, but so you can read it I had to add the red P. I normally make the size equal to "499" (the number in blue). You can set it from 10 to 999. If your pictures look small, try increasing the size.

[imPg size=499]http://i.imgur.com/12yGE.jpg[/img]

Remember, instead of typing imPg like I have below you want to instead type img (i.e. without out the capital red P).

Comments

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Photobucket when using on a computer. However, their app on my IPad is easy to use. I only use it for this forum and that's it. If I didn't have this app, I would switch to yours immediately.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    pbuckets actually been good the last 6 to 8 months, how is this site easier.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Yeah the main reason I have not kicked the bucket yet is because of the app my droid has. I take a pic with my phone, and 3 fat finger motions later that bad larry is uploaded to the internets
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    You don't need an account. I tried documented each step tediously, so my mother could even use it.

Really the steps are as easy as:

1)Navigate to the pictures on your disk
    2)go to imgur.com (no need to click anything just go here)
    3)drag and drop your pictures on to the web page (note you can upload them all at once using drag and drop)
    4)copy the links that appear on your screen when once the pictures have finished uploading.

No buttons to click on the webpage, no need to create an account, no need to login, nothing extra than those 4 very basic steps.

It is a very simple, smart, intuitive, easy-to-use interface.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    If you got to imgur on your phone's browser, the steps are still very simple as well on their mobile site. It really is a well made website.

There also are apps for their site. ImgurFree! is a popular one for the iPhone. I am sure there is one for Android as well.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i am irritated with photobucket but.... the below is copied from their faqs

How long do you keep the images?
    As long as images are getting at least 1 view every 3 months, they will stick around forever. After that, your image may be removed to create more space for newer images.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm using Picassa and I think it may be somewhat less cumbersome.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    my biggest problem is i have 1400 something images in pbucket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    bill, My thoughts exactly. I document in here with pic's and study past posts with pic's in order to recall...
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I use Picasa as well because I have for a while. Picasa requires you to install Google's software to truly be simple. I mainly use it for my vacation photos that I only want to share with my friends. In my opinion, no picture website is as easy to use as imgur. You don't even have to sign up for anything to use it, if you don't want to.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Yeah, I can understand that. You are kind of stuck once you have gone down the path with one of these sites. There are applications to help you bulk download and upload from these sites, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. I think for photobucket to bulk download your pictures you may have to sign up for the paid pro account. That being said, there is no reason why you can't start to use a different one going forward.

I use imgur for images I want to share with the entire world, like on this message board. I don't care if everyone can see some food I cooked, and I like how this site also doesn't tie my name to the images (you can use it without an account). Most of my personal photos of friends, family, etc. I keep on Picasa or Facebook, where I definitely take advantage of their security settings. Imgur has accounts with security too, but I have not yet looked into using them.