Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how high should I go?!

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks[p]10 pd Butt on so far for 9 hours at 250.... meat temp at 162... what temp do I take it off at? 180? 200?[p]Houseload of football fans in need of assistance.. [p]Thanks!

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    I pull 'em at 195 and they hit 200 while they're resting in foil and insulation. At 9 hours, you're 'bout half way there. Maybe a little more...

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Big Daddy, I'm afraid you may want to order a pizza. I'm sure more experienced eggers than I will be along shortly. I have cooked only one butt and that was only 3 1/2 pounds and it took 12 hours to cook at 250* It seems to me that those who cook large butts do an overnight cook of 18 to 20 hours. I believe 200* is done, but as I said experienced people will be along to aid you. Jim.

• The Virginian
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    If you have an other three hours or so I would say wrap it in foil and crank the Egg to 300 degrees. removing it when it gets to 190-195 degrees internal. If not, then like the man said order pizza for the game and take the butt off when it is done, 16-20 hours total cooking time at current Egg temp I would guess. [p]Brett

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Gentlemen-[p]Thank you for your kind advice.... The powers entrusted to me by Anheuser Busch have now taken control and with a bit of skewed artistic license I have now decided to jack the temp up to 300 and hope for the best.... I am looking at too much cole slaw, too many buns and too many sets of half glazed eye balls to surrender now... [p]Thanks!

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]If you don't have time to let it cook slow, you can always up the temp, take it off at an internal of 180 and chop it up. It will still taste good.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    You can always take the meat off at 180 and slice it for sandwiches. You only need 200 degrees if you want to pull it. And butt is pretty forgiving, so if you crank up the temperature and get the meat moving again, it will probably turn out good enough to eat!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz