Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forum Software needs an upgrade... PLEASE!!!

BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
It would sure be nice to visit this forum and be able to read ALL topic threads in a single page rather than having to be clicking and using bandwidth to read each and every reply.

This is one of my fave forums to visit, but only due to the information it contains as well as the people who frequent the site and certainly not because of the forum software.

Who operates this forum? Why are they still using such antiquated software? Of the 8 or so forums I frequent, all of which use different software, Egghead Forum is the most cumbersome, inefficient and slow of them all. granted it does have a few nice touches such as the tag helper bar for folks writing a post but know little about formatting. But really that kind of help is everywhere plus so much more in the way of features and strengths.

Here are some examples of software that I think could greatly improve Egghead Forum.

vBulletin (PHP)

Invision (PHP)

phpBB3 (PHP)

There are so many decent choices. Check them out on the Wikipedia comparison .... unless everyone is happy with the current software......somebody? Anybody?

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Are you viewing in Flat mode??
  • I've tried every mode available and yes, even in Flat. Though similar to what I'm mentioning, I still feel like I'm in a DOS program. I've shown this around to several friends and they agree that while it's version may be current it's not very current in comparison to better forum software.

While I like nostalgia in things like furniture and cars, I'm not of that mind in the case of software. This site could be so much better.

I also feel there should be many more than the 7 forums currently listed. This way it would not be all bunched up in the EggHead end of the forum.... ie: MEATS: Turkey, Beef, Pork, Seafood. HARDWARE: Tables, Eggcessories, 3rd Party, Temp controllers. MISC: Rubs, Eggfests, etcetera... I've seen people request such things so I'm sure there's enough demand for it.

I'm not a complainer. I'm hoping enough folks notice that there could be one stand-out from several better ways to do it and ultimately request or even demand upgrading.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you answered your question with the last line.

there are lots of positives with the 'bad' way. most folks don't see it until they spend some time here.

there is a method to the madness
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Let's put it to a vote!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I agreed with everything you said. This software sucks. Until you got to the part about adding more forums. I think ONE is plenty.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Demand?

Try the other volunteer BGE forums and then compare them to this one
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: :laugh: I guess when I start paying for it I can start demanding things :laugh: I happen to like the way things are and think the webmasters (although I have no inside knowledge as to compensation or inner workings) have done a good job dealing with the things that come up from time to time. As for newer, faster or more efficient? I think it would change the whole personality of the forum so I'll take it as is clunky or not. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Other forums can be and are created, but compliance is never gained.

How much off topic stuff is posted in the main forum? How many table questions? Etc., etc., etc.

And without moderators to continually move posts to the proper forum, it doesn't matter how many are created.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,673
    those are those box forums where you click on a boxwhich brings you to more box choices which you pick one and ask a question, and then the mod moves you to another box :laugh: :laugh: i cant stand them, one of my biggest pet peaves with those is you ask for some advice for what your doing today, then 6 months later you moved on an someones still giving you advice on it :ermm: this forum setup we use is really only good to find out what you need today, it does have search features, but most want to know about todays cook which needs an answer right now. if your cook is unsafe and is going to kill youu, can you see the humor in finding that out in 6 months :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I think you overestimate the "demand" for state-of-the-art/current software. While there is nothing wrong with anything you've suggested, there always has been a feeling of a "gathering" around here. Just throw something out there and see what happens. Personally, I like to just scroll the page and see if anything catches my attention.
  • I'd say about half the forums I hit are volunteer run and most have enough good moderators to properly manage the forums they oversee. Some others are pretty bad too...

I'd like to re-iterate though that I really like the Egghead forum people and content. I think there are enough great posters here to take on the tasks of moderator very competently without being militant about it.

It's like anything, if you want something better you have to do something about it. I'm only raising the issue in hopes.
  • I like the forum a lot, but I do agree the interface is dated. With all the open source and GNU software out there I would be curious to know how much an upgrade would cost. The forum could always ask for donations if it really is a problem.

I find it particularly annoying that there is not an rss feed.
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    I would like to see the forum updated. If it costs me a few dollars I'm good with that. My .02

Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I agreed with everything you said. This software sucks. Until you got to the part about adding more forums. I think ONE is plenty.

Maybe you are right with only needing minimal forums. There already are 5 major topic boards. But would it be so bad to have a few other (not more) un-moderated yet more usable/specific topic areas?

I'm not saying that any off-topic discussion needs re-guiding... that would suck in a forum such as the EHF.
  • I agree! I can not stand this forum that is used. Posts die almost never to be found again. Vendors can run specials. Separate forums for different eggfests with photos that will only help draw more people the the events. There are endless opportunities...this forum is super outdated!