Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues hog sauce

Options
brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've not tried it yet, but have some on order... After reading Mike's rib recipe, I thought I'd try it. Any Opinions? What's the best place to get it that doesn't charge a fortune for shipping? (or are there any chain grocers that carry it?
Opelika, AL

Comments

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Good stuff. Sweet and Spicy. Sticks to your ribs (literally... thick). Don't know where you live but they carry it at Hy Vee and Hen House in Kansas City.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've bought thru Hawgeyes with good results. Careful, they have a ton of good stuff besides.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That's where I get mine as well.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• wkygriller
    Options
    Good stuff. In small towns around here (west KY) Food Giant carries it.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I also order mine through Hawgeyes. I also have a qt of blues hog TN Red in the pantry I've yet to try. I personally think Blues Hog is by far the best BBQ sauce I've ever tried. Sweet with a peppery kick.

I spoke with Car Wash Mike on the phone once and he told me that he would sometimes thin out Blues Hog with a little water. Ive done that ever since and think it gives it a little better consistency.

The problem I run into with Hawgeyes is I can't only order one thing. Great website and selection. I also order wood chunks for smoking from them. They just show up in a grocery bag labeled with a sharpie.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I get mine from BBQ Guru. Depending on where you live the shipping is going to differ. BBQ Guru is cheaper shipping if you are in the east. I can use their cheapest ground shipping, order on Monday and have it before the weekend and they are nice people to do business with.

OOP's I forgot to mention that I mix mine with a basic tomato based BBQ sauce like Sonny's Sweet. The Blues Hog is fantastic and I find it strong enough it stands up to being cut 50/50. This also helps extend my supply and cuts the cost. Sonny's is a BBQ chain in the Southeast U.S., Sweet Baby Ray's or similar sauce would work well also.

Blair

• brownbw
    Options
    Shipping costs more than the actual sauce. I live in Auburn, AL btw. I may try to look around some of the smaller hometown grocery stores today. Just didn't want to spend $15-20 on 1 jar of bbq sauce without it being amazing. (though from what everyone says, it'll be worth it!)
    Opelika, AL
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    There is a specialty food distributor that puts it in Southern Family stores in Huntsville/Decatur. I also know Piggly Wiggly can get it through their warehouse. Any of those stores in Auburn?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I thin my Blues with TN Red - it takes that somewhat sickening sweetness out of it. Also I love that TN Red warmed up and served as a finishing sauce with a pork loin roast. Great use for it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • brownbw
    Options
    We have a pig in Opelika. I'll check it out. Thanks!
    Opelika, AL
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Mine has the pint size of regular, red and the rub. If you call the pig in Gurley, AL and ask them for the sku number on it it may be quicker for you to get your store to move. I had to specifically ask for them to carry it. It is also stocked at the pig in NewHope, Al if you have trouble with the first.

I wish I knew you were in Auburn, I was down in Montgomery last week and could have shuttled a jar to you. If you ever make it up to Huntsville, there are a few eggers up here. Maybe a lunch near decatur could be in order. We could invite Rolling Egg aka Big pockets and let him pick up the tab!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My local Schnucks carries it.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    that's good info wkygriller! Next time I'm over that way (which will probably be next month) I'm looking for a food giant!
  • wkygriller
    Options
    I've been buying it at the Princeton Food Giant. They carry 2 different sauces and a rub. They also have lump all year round under $7.00 for 10 lbs.
  • brownbw
    Options
    I'm heading to Atlanta Friday - does anyone know a place in ATL or off I-85N (Newnan, etc) where I might could find Blues Hog sauce?
    Opelika, AL