Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast.

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoked bone-in, fresh turkey breast was my contribution for Christmas lunch at the inlaws.

I found a recipe posted by "Fearless", doctored it slightly and it turned out great!

The original recipe is based largely on the virtues of sage:
2 Tbsp dried sage
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp Kosher salt
2 tsp fresh coarsely ground blk pepper
5 tbsp olive oil

I added 1/2 tbsp marjoram (cause I had some on hand)

I wanted to inject the breast, so I heated 2 oz olive oil and infused it with 2 tsp sage, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp marjoram, a little S&P. Strained and cooled this oil, then added 2 oz apple juice and injected a total of 2 ounces into each breast.

Then, according to the recipe, I rubbed the herb/oil paste under the skin plus a little on top.
DSC_0399.jpg
Large egg, stable with PS and drip pan at 250* grid temp. 1 lump of pecan and a handful of cherry chips. Smoked for 45 minutes, then increased the temp to 300 and then 350 to speed it up to 160* internal in time to foil and place in cooler for the trip to the inlaws. It was very juicy and extremely well-received by the hungry crowd!

Sorry, no "done" pics, as the wifey and kids were impatiently standing around ready to go, waiting on the turkey to finish. Quickly off the grill, into the cooler and then the car - no time for pics.

Thanks, Fearless, for the original recipe!

Sliced (still hot)

Comments