Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks mainegg & vidalia1

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

We went to our in-laws for dinner this evening and our daughter-in-law had told our son that I better not bring ABTs as they aren't a Christmas food (by the way her mother had asked that we bring ABTs)...the same afternoon my son had told me about the D-I-L request I saw a post by vidalia1 with his version of mainegg's ABT dip...since we had already bought the jalapenos I decided to try the dip...it was easier actually than I thought it would be. I didn't feel like looking for mainegg's recipe since I had vidalia1's available and since any recipe is only a "guideline" I used Kim's with my own slight "modifications".

The bacon has already been cooked (on the Egg of course) and here are the pepper chunks getting happy in the bacon grease...
S122510-01.jpg

Since when I make ABTs I usually include pulled pork, I chopped up about a cup of PP that was available, mixed it with some of my BBQ sauce and then mixed it with the cream cheese, mixed and ready...
S122510-02.jpg

Skillet with the peppers on bottom and cream cheese/pulled pork spread with a good sprinkling of DP Raging River...
S122510-03.jpg

Topped that with Paul Newman's Peach Salsa (Kim's recipe said Pineapple, but due to a brain fart I grabbed Peach instead), bacon ready to top it...
S122510-04.jpg

this then went back on the Egg to get everything warm & happy together, then into a basket to take to the dinner (only about a mile from our house)...
S122510-06.jpg

I had never eaten this before myself (just missed it at the EggFests somehow), but it is VERY good and quite easy to do. Oh yeah, even the D-I-L said it was good and that I could do it again anytime. :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Oh my - looks fantastic. I'm thinking it will be a very welcome New Year's Eve appetizer at my house....thanks for posting. :laugh:

Merry Christmas :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Elizabeth:

All the credit goes to Julie & Kim for the recipe...and it is a very easy cook. We used the Toastitos "Scoops" served with it...made pulling out a big scoop of all the layers nice. Try it...you will like it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I love it.Looks WAY easier than makin individual ones. :)
  • mint-tulip
    Options
    Jay,

Kim loves cooking this recipe and yes it is easier than ABT's...love your idea of adding pulled pork...maybe some leftover brisket...mmmmmm

We have had several people who don't like jalapenos say they really like this dip because they get the flavor but not the heat....

Merry Christmas...

and thanks to Julie for the Maine :) idea...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    That looks great Jay! It is not nearly as much work and feeds more. every time we do it the pan is clean at the end of the evening:)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we get that too Ginny, with cooking the chopped peppers and then when you heat the whole thing at the end it takes a lot of the heat out. people that do not like them like this dip :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Jay, I like it. I will be happy to come over and try it the next time you make it. Yours always taste better anyway, as you and Kathy have that special touch.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini