Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a Clean Cut on a 4-Bone Roast off of Subpr

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How is the best way to make this cut on a bone-in rib subprimal without tearing it up or getting a raggidy looking cut? My previous attempts (all of 1) to cut a bone in (aged) subprimal was rough once you get to the bone or cartildge holding the ribs. I saw a butcher hack saw in a meat market when buying bone-in ribeyes. Did I just answer my own question?

Any suggestions!???

Hope everybody having great Christmas eve!

Dave and family.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I think you did answer your own question! I believe they are cut with a saw. The bones curve differently with every animal. Not sure if you are talking about cooked or uncooked, but if you're makin steaks think about cutting the bones off, then cutting your steaks (then you can cook the bones for gnawing or use in soup).

If your cooking it whole, you can still cut the bones off before you serve, then cut your servings and place a gnawing bone on the side.

Happy holidays.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you should see the end of the rib, and a round bone next to it. go down the side of the rib and as you get to the little knuckle sized bone, you should be able to slide the knife into the space between the two, and it will continue right on thru. that's assuming the spine isn't still involved.

if the spine (part of it, anyway) is still there in any substantial amount, you can also use a long carving knife to cut alongside the inside of all the ribs, following the curve of the ribs and ending up with the meat on one side and all the bones on the other. this is similar to when the butcher cuts off the ribs and then ties them back on. easier for you to cook it first then slice off the ribs. then you slice the meat, now all by itself, into slices
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Stike,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on this important evening! Worked like a charm, now only decision is if tomorrows dinner party at friends gets the big half :( :ermm: or little half :lol: , with the remainder back in fridge for another 30 days or so for steaks.

If I remember you are a salt and pepper guy, but trying a roast rub from Rub With Love that I got turned on to after searching website. Some chef type in CA. Smells really good, no artificials - but how can you mess up prime rib - overcook, right?!?!?

Kind regards,

Dave
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Thanks for responding! It cut real nice, very little chopping required at the connection and I didnt even tear it up or anything. Thinking that last time I may have been struggling more with how BIG the steaks of the bone-in subprimal were, and trying to cut them smaller (a LITTLE difficult with those dang ribs int eh way!)!!!

Happy Holidays!

Dave
  • stike
    Options
    I just lopped off a four-bone about two hours ago. Man o man. Thing looks gorgeous

I had the same problem. Small loin end or the big chuck end. I chose the chuck end for the wow potential. Hahaha

the rest did indeed go back in to continue aging. I covered the cut flesh with olive oil and piece of wax paper. I am thinking that will retard drying of the cut end
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    It will be interesting to hear how the olive oil thing works out. A pic before and after would be great! In a previous response you posted the idea, and my only thought was that olive oil (which I love!) can impart some weird flavor over a period of time. Not rancid, but unique....But, fridged and covered, who knows! You may even want to isolate that end when you cut and see if you get any difference in flavor! Might be the next great thing!

On the dry aged (albiet short, for me) thing, I will be iterested to see how the drier fat responds during the cook (I am going 250F to about 130, then 10 min or so at the 500F after a rest, looking for something in the near medium range). I am hoping it does not pull back off the meat like a fresh cut can. Also hoping more of a solid texture, versus the wet texture you get with fresh beef.

Cant wait! Thanks again.

Dave
  • stike
    Options
    It'll be denser and almost crisper. There is much less water that needs to be driven out before it crisps up. The darker oxidized 'rind' softens and because it is also firmer than usual, it adds to the sensation of a crust

frigging magnificent if you ask me

merry Christmas. The kids just put out some cookies and milk and my youngest left a couple fingers of scotch. I told him to leave the cheap stuff, because that was good enough for the old man. Last year he left ashes all over the living room
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    :laugh: :P :laugh: !!!!