Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xl concrete top

c tredwell
c tredwell Posts: 575
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally warm enough to pour some concrete in my xl table form...
Forms ready for concrete--
eggtop001.jpg

Concrete poured, 2 days of curing and it will be ready for polishing and sealing :)
eggtop002.jpg

OT acid stained floor from a couple weeks ago
concretefloors003.jpg

luv me some concrete! ;)

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That is very nice Chris!! Some talent! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Chris,

Really cool. That floor looks great! I had my finished basement acid stained, but it does not look that good. What area are you in?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That floor looks great. The table should come out just as nice considering it took you about 3 years to get it done :whistle:
  • Thanks Molly! ;)
    Smokey--Athens, Ga
    Dang hot rod! No love! :P This one is for a customer...
  • That is gonna be Prreeeeeeeeeeeeeeety :)
  • Outstanding work Chris
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    For a customer??? I thought you were going to finally have us over to Egg.. :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :laugh:

Nice job Chris & Merry Christmas... :cheer:
  • Wow, that is absolutely beautiful!!! I do a lot of remodeling, etc., and have always wanted to do a concrete top.

Two quick questions if you dont mind....

1. What type if reinforcing did you use in the mix, and did you beef up reinforcing in vicinity of the egg penetration? Also, these tops are only a few inches thick, right?

2. How do you expect the surface to wear? With the amount of cooking I do on my egg, I am amazed at the amount of sauce, grease, and just plain gunk I get on my table (wood, with spar varnish). It is holding up good, but a definite hostile environment!!!

Again, congrats. You are a craftsman!!!
  • Thanks Kim...you know the old saying about the cobblers son having no shoes? :whistle: Chris still has no outside kitchen... :pinch: Still need to have the NGE's over soon- Merry Christmas to yall ;)
  • Thanks Dave! I use 3/8" rebar around the perimeter of the top, and 6"X6" wire mesh in the field. This top is only 1.5" thick, but mix yields a 7500 psi after 28 days. Sealer is a hybrid penetrating/topical from Cheng Concrete supplies-surprisingly durable.
    I didnt get a pic of rebar in, but it looked like this before I poured--Everything is poured upside down, so the rebar has to be elevated..
    cctops001.jpg
    If you decide to try pouring a top, shoot me an e-mail-I'd be happy to give you some tips! ;)
  • What mix are you using? I was thinking of using the 5000 psi mix. Do you use Chengs fiber and color or do you have your own mix design. I love concrete myself.
  • wow! ..... that'd fantastic..... thanks for the inspiration.... my old wooden top is getting tired!.... ray
  • please post pics of the final results! thanks! ray
  • Chris,

That looks incredible! Is that in your basement or did you pour the main floor?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks guys! The mix is from a local company (decorative concrete finishes) and it an in house mix of cement, ground marble, plasticizer and marble aggregate-no sand! The ground marble replaces the sand as silica and makes it a dream to pour, finish and polish. They also have in house colors, but I do use Cheng sealer and diamond pads. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished product!
    Steve-thats a customers basement-I havent gotten around to my floor yet, much to my wifes dismay... :pinch:
    Couple more pics-
    countertop027.jpg
    countertop009-1.jpg
    cctops003.jpg
  • Chris,

In floor heating (boiler fed) is all the rage here. I installed a lot of it on the rebuild. If I had known I could get a finished like that I wouldn't have put the engineered floor on top of it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON