Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket - Wrap or don't wrap?

Options
willrev
willrev Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Staff Christmas lunch at work tomorrow. Smoking my first brisket 12lbs. over oak and hickory. As per my Texas buddy, we soaked it in Coke overnight. This morning rubbed with "dalmation" rub my friend bought from Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX.

The brisket went on the Egg at 4:50pm at 230 degrees. Getting ready to mop for the first time with beer and butter.

Should I wrap this thing in foil at some point or not? Any Texas experts to help an NC bbq man who is brisket clueless?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I wrap at 165 and start poking it at 190-195 for tenderness. Usually comes off at around 200 and then wrap foiled brisket in towel and put in cooler for 2 hours or so. I have cooked them both ways and covered always comes out better for me.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I don't wrap, but I'm not from Texas. :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • willrev
    Options
    She is looking good. At almost four hours on the Egg. Fire started cooling a little too much so I adjusted vents and turned on my small fan on the floor of the deck and pointed it at the bottom vent. Seems like I have trouble maintaining 230 without my fire going out every time I try to smoke. I always clean the egg out completely and put in new lump. Not sure why I have trouble maintaining temp.
  • texas_archer
    Options
    We need pics of the finished product.

Soak it in coke? Never heard that.

Love my BBQ Guru.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If you will set it at 250 calibrated dome it will go for hours on end without assistance..It will be cooking at 220-230 at the grid level.250 seems to be the sweet spot on MOST large Eggs.
  • willrev
    Options
    Well, my Texas friend and coworker said he called his brother in TX who said to soak it in Coke and this was a BBQ secret. I guess we will see.
  • willrev
    Options
    You guys rock. Thanks for the 250 sweet spot tip. Going to adjust the vents.
  • willrev
    Options
    Sweet spot working. Temp is maintaining well. B)
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    suppose you are eggin´the brisket, wrapping is generally not necessary. Imho actually the worse solution.

but if it´s your first run, perhaps wrap. Cause wrapping is the saver way to reach a tender brisket.

It is imho a bit drier and the bark is worse than w/o wrapping, but the first brisket ist perhaps better to wrap, to reach the main goal: tenderness.

Good cook !
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    ? :blink: :ermm:
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Never heard of soaking it in coke, and I've lived my whole life in Texas. Interesting. Let us know how it goes. And I've never wrapped a brisket.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings