Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham and Turkey Help

Options
Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm planning on cooking a ham and a turkey for Christmas. Probably about a 7lb ham and about a 17lb turkey. I don't think they will both fit in a large so I'm going to have to cook them separately. Even if they "could" fit, I don't think I want to push it.

Which would you cook first? I was thinking the ham first, foiling it when it's ready and warming it up again when the turkey is done and resting. Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would do the ham first and the turkey spatchcocked second.
    Ham holds so much better than turkey.
    App 3 hr's on ham and 1 1/2 on turkey......
    This from Thanksgiving:
    photo-126.jpg
    photo-127.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What Mickey said.Maybe even just do a turkey breast.That's all my folks like anyway.I will not buy just the breast.Too expensive.I will thaw up a whole turkey,chop out the breast and cook the other parts later to make other turkey stuff. ;)
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Grandpas Grub has an awesome Ham Method. And I'd also agree on the Sptachcock Turkey. It's a great cook in less than 2 hrs!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm with Hoss.....
    If you don't need a whole turkey, take the breasts out (easier and a bit faster to brine too...if you go that route) and do an indirect at about 350 F. That makes for a pretty fast cook!
    And...Yes, do the ham first (only taking it to 140 F. for a smoked / pre-cooked) then a tight foiling and either a cooler with towels or even a REALLY low oven, like 200 F. ("warm" if you have that setting) will be Okay too.
    Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jasper
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have to cook the turkey "traditional" style so no spatchcocking here. ;)
  • Jasper
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have to cook the turkey "traditional" style so no spatchcocking here. ;)