Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Chops (t-Rex Style) w/ Zesty Horseradish Sauce

Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found this recipe in Southern Living (thanks to Gilda Lester of Wilmington, NC). We converted to the egg using a t-rex method and they were awesome! [p]Maple-Glazed Lamb Chops with Zesty Horseradish Sauce
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1.4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 (1/2-inch-thick) lamb loin chops
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Zesty Horseradish Sauce (see recipe below) [p]Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic bag; add lamb chops. Cover or seal, and chill up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
Remove lamb chops from marinade, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chops evenly with salt and pepper.
Use the t-rex method to cook: sear 30 seconds per 1/2 inch thickness at around 750 degrees. Dwell for 20 minutes, get the egg down to 400 degrees. After the 20 min. dwell, put the chops back on the egg for about 4-5 minutes per side.
Serve em up and watch em disappear! [p]Zesty Horseradish Sauce (makes about 1/2 cup, so I doubled it cuz we had 4 adults eating)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons roughly chopped mint leaves
Stir together all ingredients. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Eggsellent,[p]"Dwell for 20 minutes, get the egg down to 400 degrees. After the 20 min. dwell, put the chops back on the egg for about 4-5 minutes per side."[p]I'm not a lamb expert but shouldn't the word "dwell" be "rest" in the two places it appears in the quote?[p]Seems like 1/2" chops would be pretty dry after a 20 minute dwell and lamb traditionally is served rare.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Pakak,[p]It's been a long day here. She meant 20 minute rest, and the chops were about 1.25 inches thick, so the four minutes per side dwell was right on...[p]Thanks for keeping us honest.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Mark Backer,[p]Gotcha. I was just trying to follow along. :) [p]Personally, I haven't cared much for lamb in the past but have tasted some withing the last year or so that changed my mind. I'm contemplating trying it again, possibly doing it myself on the egg.