Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the Love of Chicken - Pulled Pollo Sandwiches

Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It may have been 20 something degrees outside with the wind chill factor in DC, but that didn't stop me. I got home from work on Friday and needed some stress relief. The wife was napping upstairs so I was all alone. Now this sounds like the start of a after school special, "A man all alone, left to his own devices.", but when you have a BGE a lot of good can come from it.

So I decided to try out a new cook. I had picked up some chicken thighs and had some dough balls in the fridge. So I started thinking to myself, "Hmmm, pizza? Nah, been there done that. Grilled chicken thighs? Nah, too boring.", and after a while of this I settled on some pulled chicken sandwiches and BGE baked buns. I called them pulled Pollo sandwiches cause I seasoned them with some Latin flavors.

On to the cook.

Here are my chicken thighs all dressed for the party. I used Adobo seasoning and Tsunami spin both under and over the skin.
IMG00013-20101203-1657.jpg

Here are my my homemade bun proofing away just ready to kiss the grill. I brushed an egg wash on them and then sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds for crunch.
IMG00017-20101203-1830.jpg

Chicken thighs skin side down indirect for 30 minutes at 400-450 degrees over Cowboy lump and hickory chunks.
IMG00015-20101203-1721.jpg

Skin side up for another 30 until they reached 170 internal. Afterward they went into a pan cover with tinfoil to steam themselves to 180.
IMG00016-20101203-1802.jpg

After the chicken was done, I threw on the baking stone and waited for it to come to temp. Then on went the buns. Indirect 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
IMG00023-20101203-1856.jpg

Chicken ready to be pulled.
IMG00018-20101203-1842.jpg

Wife finally woke up when I was about ready to eat. Wouldn't we all like to wake up to fresh baked bread and pulled chicken goodness.
IMG00019-20101203-1843.jpg

All the good stuff with none of the bad (Fat or Skin) placed back into the juices from the steaming pan. Time to eat!
IMG00021-20101203-1855.jpg

Mission accomplished, nothing says love like a sandwich made completely from scratch. Some slices of velvetta cheese and of course some Sweet Baby Rays and Siracha sauce for dipping. It taste like honey sir.
IMG00025-20101203-1903.jpg

One for the books and a heck of a cool way to make simple chicken fun to eat. Sandwiches came out perfectly and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to thinking about opening up a pulled chicken food truck after this cook.

The masses deserve a good meal!

Regards,

MP

Comments

• Nice job on the sandwiches! Your buns browned up nice and evenly.

My wife always bakes the bread on her Egg while I do the main dish on mine. Our bread results have been hit or miss so far. 450f is a little hotter than we run when baking so we'll have to try that out.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good thinking MP. I will try it...
    Tell us about the name Mud Pig?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Nice...
    Great way to get rid of the stress...
  • awesome looking chicken sandwhich, however I think your wife needs to get you a new grill apron for Christmas.

:laugh:
  • Mud Pig
    Haha, I just grabbed hers so I wouldn't get chicken grease on me. Definitely think I need something a little more manly from now on.

I should have picked this one up in Italy. My cousin was the brave one who posed with it so I could snap a pick. Oh my!
    DSC00859.JPG
  • Mud Pig
    Its a nickname I came up with a long time ago. Sort of my BBQ personna.
  • Mud Pig
    I haven't done a lot of bread baking on the Edd, but I can tell you that the key to nice browning is the egg wash. If I don't put the egg wash on the buns pretty much stay cream colored and only brown when they are close to burning. With an egg wash on you get a nice golden brown. Likewise after you put the egg wash on you can sprinkle some salt and pepeer or sesame seeds for a nice flavor accent.
  • MP, great cook. Buns in the fridge? Like no knead? Or Artisan Bread 5 Minutes a Day? Either way they turned out nicely.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice MP! I actually did something similar on Friday but mine were pulled chicken soft tacos. I used a store bought Mojo marinade that had way too much sugar, so the skin burned. They were not pretty by the time I got them to 180-190...so I didn't think they were pic worthy!

Really like the nice touch of making your own buns. The egg wash is a great tip.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mud Pig
    I had picked up some dough balls from the Whole Foods supermarket in Arlington on my lunch break that day so I had them handy. I was planning on doing some pizzas this past weekend so I got some supplies that day. They have a nice in house bakery there so I generally ask the guys if I can buy some dough balls off them. They generally weight about a pound each

I took one of the dough balls and made 4 buns out of it. Then let them proof on the counter for a couple of hours, they are cold when I get them so they need to rest and proof. When they get about 30% bigger they are good to go on the grill.
  • MP, those look great. Nice job. I will have to try the pulled chicken since I am tired of thighs. Thanks for the tips.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Excellent lookin sammie. Good to see you back on the forum. Keep'em commin. :)
  • Mud Pig
    You and me both. Don't get me wrong I love a good piece of chicken, but I'd been searching for a way to make chicken less of a sit down formal meal. Of course not referring to chicken wings.

Likewise, pulled pork all the time get s little unhealthy. Pulled chicken thighs work out great cause I always render out a lot of the fat during the cook, then as I'm pulled it I get rid of the skin and any fat I can. I'm just left with nice chicken chunks, I put them back into their own liquid fromt he pan and its ready to go.
  • Mud Pig, the chicken sandwich looks yummy! :) What a treat to have homemade buns.