Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

food slicer

thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best bang for the buck on food slicers?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if you find out, tell me.
    i needed one without waiting for shipping, and i kinda like to see the thing first. i called around and the only (ONLY) places that had them in the store were williams sonoma, sur la table, and macy's.

Kohl's used to, and your local one still might.

they all carry the "Waring Pro" or the "Waring Pro", or sometimes even the "Waring Pro". confuesd? me too. Waring makes a few that are basically the same damn thing, all called the 'Pro' in some way.

you'll find the cheapest at $99. theor next level up (still caleed "Pro", i swear) is the stainless one. i grabbed that due to immediate need. regular price $199, on sale for $149 with $20 rebate.

all the warings have a 130 watt motor, and the damn thing says "designed for 10 minutes of use. maximum". i think they mean "continuous use", hahaa

honestly, i might have gone with a higher end chef's choice, because i would prefer a platen or meat tray that i can take off or which doesn't have a stop limiting the size of the meat you can run thru it (i need to do a bunch of bacon/belly).

i am sure the low end has problems and i'll find out soon enough. i just couldn't wait, and didn't want to buy sight unseen...

let me know how you make out
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • are there any used restaurant supply sales places in your area?.... might find a nice hobart .... put an ad on craig's list ...."looking for a used commercial slicer".... you might get lucky.... restaurants and bars are closing almost daily around here...( it's getting scary out there!)... rr
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. they are about 900 bucks around here. beliebve me, i have been lookin

here's the sad part. two years ago dad found one at a yard sale. solid aluminum hobart or some similar heavy duty commercial rig.

asked if i wanted it. i had no need at the time. he donated it to the community center where they live winters in florida.

DOH!

my butcher actually offered to cut it, but i have a LOT.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I wanted a slicer, but knew I wouldn't use it daily, so I decided to get an economical one. I use mine about 4 times a year and works great. I opted for this one from HSN, because it comes with an extra blade:
    http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/chefs-choice-premium-electric-food-slicer-with-2-blades_p-3163436_xp.aspx?web_id=3163436&ocm=sekw
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I got this one a few years ago. Globe C10 model. This is a pic after I used it on some pit beef.

100_0860.jpg
  • i just checked craig;s list..... there's a hobart slicer for sale on the "appliances" category.....on scranton pa's list.... hope this helps.....
  • I bought the Chefs Choice for around a hundred dollars, from HSn and couldn't be happier. Mostly I use for cutting meat for sandwichs, good bang for the buck.