Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is involved with planning an eggfest?

HoosierDan
HoosierDan Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Living in Indiana I am thinking of approaching a friend who owns a liquor store about incorporating an eggfest into his annual "Fest of Ale" that he puts on for a local charity. Before I speak with him and the egg dealer, what should I know about planning an eggfest?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    A lot of things, as you would expect. Egg packages/prices, creating a web site, advertising/promotion, host hotel arrangements, sponsors, venue.......the list goes on and on. Click on my fest banner above and get a general idea, even though the web site is still under construction.
    Another way is to just have a small "minifest" where local eggers bring their eggs and you don't have to worry about most of the above items.
  • And about a years worth of planning. I took about 2-3 mo. just to put on a nice Egg Demo for the store I used to work at. 6-8 eggers using your demo eggs, tents, advertising, etc. Liquor, beers & Egged food do work well together. I think smallish and work up slowly to a Eggfest. Just mho. :):):) I wish you well.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The mini's sure are fun John
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    More fun than a full blown-out fest! The minifest in Melbourne is as good as it gets! Hands down! The closest thing to a minifest at a regular fest is the after party....and everyone knows it's better than the fest!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    The Plano Outlaw Gathering was like a combo , hybrid quasi-fest, if that makes any sense. No banner, no real advertisement, just word of mouth. This was the second year. It tripled in size in one year! This stuff is a blast! I would post a sign at his store with your phone number and/or email and I guarantee you will get a lot of voluntary help and ideas. Go for it. ;)
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    first thing is check with your city about the codes. they can be a pain.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I would tend to agree that should be first..or for sure near the top of the list....and then all the rest..it is a LOT of work....
  • Thanks everyone for your tips. Like I mentioned previously I have a friend who owns a liquor store. Every year he has a Fest of Ale that he holds for charity. The problem is that the food offerings at his fest are puny. Hot dogs, blah, blah, blah. Right around the corner from where he holds his festival is a new local egg dealer. I thought about asking Todd if he would be willing to include an eggfest, most likely a mini, along with his event. This is all dependant on whether the dealer would even be interested. The local code is precisely the type of stuff I was wondering about. I was just looking to have some information ready for when I propose this to him. The only other eggfest which we have locally is in Louisville and my guess is that it would probably qualify as a mini. That is where I purchased my egg earlier this year.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hoosier Dan: For your own sanity, I would recommend just word of mouth trying to get some eggheads to commit to cooking. We put on the Sunshine State Eggfest last year, and trust me, it is a TON TON TON of work! Talk to the dealer, he can set up a booth if he wants or whatever, but seriously, fest organizing....uggggh...going through it now for the Sunshine State Eggfest in April. :blink: :( :pinch: Meet & Greet, Demos, People to do the demos, sponsors, vendors, paypal, ugggh...And God Bless Pork Butt Mike, he takes care of the website, which seems to need to be changed on a daily basis! Just get some eggheads together and cook!
    As far as the local officials go...who is selling the hot dogs and such? Is it a professional, or just the owner slinging some dogs and such? I'd try to use the dealer for word of mouth advertising...it will only be helping his business get started!
  • The event is held on the grounds of a Catholic Church. The men's group of that church has a small food trailer from which they sell the food. I would like to see this happen but it is going to be up to the two business owners. I'm so new at this and do not know any other local eggers to invite to an informal cook. Although I think Derby City Egghead is in Louisville.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Maybe the dealer has a mailing list he might be willing to share, or may be willing to send a mailing himself?
  • Where in Indiana? If you do wind up getting one together, let us know. I've got family and former classmates in Lafayette, and could plan a weekend visit around an eggfest.

Have you been to the Indy eggfest?
  • Dan,
    Just read the post. Are you close to Louisville? If so I'm sure I could round up a couple of eggheads for a fest or informal cook. Let me know.