Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank You, MadMax!

Options
MisterCode
MisterCode Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first year with my XL EGG. I've had it since April. Never tried a turkey till yesterday when we were hosting the big dinner with both sides of the family over at our house. The pressure was on! I woke up at 7am to fire up the egg and put the 24lb bird on. I followed MadMax's instructions to the letter; and, needless to say, the results were unbelievable. Breast meat and dark meat were amazingly moist, flavorful and both perfectly done. In addition, the turkey's color was picture perfect.
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    The one pic is great! Try the "Preview" button on bottom before your Posts and it will let you see how you are doing before you "Submit" Also, Welcome & Congrats!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The color on that bird is incredible!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Looks like a picture perfect turkey!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    Wow, love the tan, that's a picture perfect bird indeed. Did you use any smoking wood?
    canuckland
  • MisterCode
    Options
    I used 2 soaked chunks of cherry wood. They were both the size of a large man's fist. Both burned through with only about 10% of the wood left after the cook. This ended up giving a definite hint of smoked turkey but not a smoky flavor.
    XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal