Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookbook recommendation

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I want to get my son's girlfriend a cookbook for xmas. They like to cook and entertain fairly often for young 20-something year olds.

They don't have a bbq yet so I don't want to get a bbq cookbook. Something general or a nice book with photos. I have tons of cookbooks and can't decide which one to get them so thought I'd see which would be your favorite general cookbook or a fun photo-heavy book for cooking and entertaining.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Get a copy of "Pioneer Woman Cooks" by Ree Drummond.

Lots of great ideas in there.

I also like Alton Brown's books, but they are as much for understanding processes and food preparation theory as they are for providing recipes.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Gwen: Though there are no fancy pictures, this cookbook is outstanding! Each recipe is accompanied by a brief explanation of other methods or ingredients they tried, and why they chose the methods/ingredients they did. Truly a go to book for great recipes, and for explaining the "why's". It's written by the people that do Cooks Illustrated. Highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Best-Recipe-All-New/dp/0936184744

Also, Food & Wine magazine puts out annual collections of the recipes from their magazines. A nice mix of pictures and pretty reliable recipes.

I can honestly say though, if I had to give up all my cookbooks except one, I would keep my New Best Recipe. ;)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Wow, after reading the reviews on amazon, I have this on order through my library to check it out. I may have to get one for the gf and one for myself! It sounds fabulous. I love cooks illustrated and their style of deconstructing a recipe. I think my son would really like this too because he enjoys learning as he goes, which is what CI is great at.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I have the Pioneer Woman cookbook and while I like it, it's not really got a lot of the kinds of food we eat a lot of, and esp the kinds of food my son and his gf cook/eat. Also, most of the recipes in that book are dishes I already have a recipe for that I like to use. I have never actually made anything from it, altho I do like to look at it a lot! I'll have to take another look to see if I think they might use it more than I do.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I rather like this one. My brother got it for me a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Times-60-Minute-Gourmet/dp/0812933028

Written by Pierre Franey, a chef and later the food writer for the NY Times. Intro by Craig Claiborne. Written in the 70's I believe.

I've tried quite a few of the recipes and all were quite good. He does like his butter though! :) Normally, I don't like cookbooks that have no pics. Probably wouldn't have bought this one, even if I HAD heard of Franey! But I'm glad I have it. Leap of faith, ya know? :laugh:

If you REALLY want to impress, buy a new condition hardcover, $500-600+. :) Don't worry, the paperbacks are cheap.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Gwen,

The New Proffessional Chef from CIA if they are serious.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON