Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey - vertical or horizontal?

Options
cole9moss
cole9moss Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am interested in some feed back on cooking a turkey. Mainly on if I should stand the bird up vertical on a cone or place it horizontal. Advantages and disadvantages of both? I am going to cook a turkey for thanksgiving for the first time on the egg. I will probably opt for a smaller turkey 10-12 lbs because my dad is going to deep fry one as well. All advice is welcome!

Comments

• Half Wit
    Options
    My Egg is to small to have a turkey stand on end, even though this would be the prefered way to cook it.

Two words of advice I can give you though, is to make sure you purchase a turkey that has been air chilled and not frozen (same holds true for frying a bird as well). Also brine the bird for at least 18 hours before hand to avoid serving a dry turkey to your family.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    For you first Turkey cook, IMHO I would do it vertical. Set your Egg up in direct and dome temp at 300. This is the way I am doing mine at the camp ground. I like doing it at 300 and tent it for the first hour. Comes out nice and moist and everyone will be impressed with your cook. Good luck and enjoy.
  • deltadawn
    Options
    What would be the approximate time per pound to do vertical turkey at 300 degrees? Thanks...