Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOSS\'A\'Loney Salad - The Bomb!!!

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, my respects and accolades to HOSS for the idea of the Hoss’A’Loney Salad, and his encouragement to me to go forth, and “Jack it Up!!!”

Below is a first try experiment that, frankly, was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

So, here is my first try (obviously you can proportion up for larger groups, or change as you like). :

Into the Egg…

1 lb Boars Head Loney (no, not beef, but the REAL loney).
2 slices sweet onion (you can go ½ inch thick)
1 jalapeno, deseeded, sliced in half
DP Raging River coating Loney

ham4.jpg

Slice the Loney into ¾ to 1 inch cubes, and hit it hard with the Raging River.
All goes on indirect, 350, 45 minutes, and I used some pecan chips for flavor…..Looking for a nice crust on Loney.

ham3.jpg

Sauce…

OK, so a few Bud Lights had kicked in, so we have to go proportions…..

About….(and remember, this is per pound of loney)

3 big TBS mayo
2 big TBS coarse ground mustard (coarser the better)
2 (light) TBS Franks Red Hot sauce (HAS to be the FRANKS!!!!). Start with less if not hot sauce fan, you can always add more.
1 (small, uncooked) jalapeno, chopped (same as Franks, start light if not fan, you can always add more). This is in addition to the jalapeno cooking on the egg right now.

Making the Magic…..

I coarse chopped everything (loney first and into mixing pan, and then cooked onions/jalapeno and raw jalapeno chopped and blended into the sauce) using the slapper chopper, and combined. Then placed in Fridge for 2 hours (min) to get happy.

ham2.jpg

Results? Slap yo’ Momma GOOD!!!!! Note that final product, in proportions above, is not “over-saucy”.

ham1.jpg

Would I change anything – next time I would cook enough loney, onions and peppers to make a body rub out of for attracting the wifey!!!! Also, celery might be nice…

This would be a HUGE hit for any holiday party....Guaranteed!!!!!

Happy Holidays.

Comments