Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil pan for ribs?

Options
Cactus Doug
Cactus Doug Posts: 341
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past I have cooked pork ribs everywhich way. I am cooking for a decent size group this friday and they like their ribs "fall of the bone" (I prefer some chew left CWM method). So this means that I am going to foil. Has anyone used a disposable aluminum pan that will hold several racks and foil the top? Are the results the same as individual foil packages? I am cooking around 30+ racks and am trying to avoid foiling each one individually. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I tried this method once. It was actually my very first cook. I was following the instructions on the BGE site:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/backyard.html

They were fine, but definitely not fall off the bone. However, I blame this mainly on the fact that they just needed more time.

Still, I think you would get a little more "braising" effect by using individual foil packets. The foil pan with a cover should be similar, but might just require a little more time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I did that once as I was without tinfoil for some reason. It worked fine. BTW-I foil and can get results both ways. As you like them or fall off the bone. Just depends how long I cook them prior to and during the foiling. I did some last Monday and they were perfect. I think I cooked them about 3 hours at around 250-260, then foiled for about 70 minutes and finished for about 20 minutes with some sauce. Turned out spot on. They were perfect. If you foil a bit longer I bet they will fall apart as they prefer.

Oh and I was only doing 1 or 2 racks when I used a foil pan. I think I bent it together or something to seal it.

Good luck.