Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Options
tsheehan7
tsheehan7 Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So this is my third low and slow with my new BGE, and my third time using applewood chips to get some light smoke flavor onto my turkeys and butts. The first two times I sprinkled the chips around the top of the lump starting in the center and thin circling outward. This weekend, I did the same, but I added a layer in the middle of the lump.

Each time I get about 10 minutes of smoke and then it's done. Completely gone. I know part of the problem is that all of my coals on the top aren't burning. I light it in three places (kind of a triangle around the center) but I still get a somewhat vertical burn in those three places.

I guess I need tips for lighting and smoking.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Are you sprinkling the chips on just after you light the fire and the ensuing heat up time is burning the wood prematurely? Apple is very light and you may not be using enough. Also after the bird is on try throwing some chips around the edge of the coals or just on the edges of the plate setter if using one. You might try some small chunks in the middle of the coals for longer cooks.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I'm putting the chips on top after the fire is at my desired temp - probably about 45 minutes after lighting it.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I'm putting the chips on top after the fire is at my desired temp - probably about 45 minutes after lighting it.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Are you getting any smoke flavor in what your cooking? I'm a chip sprinkler myself and don't go overboard with them. A little smoke is good....just wisps here and there. You don't want smoke billowing for hours on end.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    After cleaning out your firebox and while you are adding lump, place chips,chunks randomly throughout the lump column. Then as the fire burns, it will find pieces of smoking wood throughout the cook and release smoke during the entire process. When cooking butts, I will place 4 or 5 chunks of hickory at different locations and levels in the lump column. I do not use wood chips/chunks on any type of poultry as they can take on too much smoky taste. The lump alone imparts enough smoke on them for my preferences.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    A couple comments...

The smoke you see is not necessarily the smoke that imparts the best flavor. Don't go by sight, go by smell of the smoke and taste of the meat.

My guess is that you just need to use more chips, and/or chunks. Some swear by chips, I personally prefer chunks.

Like Richard said, if you can't smell the smoke in the middle of the cook, drop some chips along the edge of the plate setter.

EDITED TO ADD:

One more thing, on your turkey...

That "smoked turkey" taste from good deli turkey is as much from the brine as it is from the smoke. Try brining.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It's easier to work with what you're doing right.... that is asking questions. There is so much knowledge here to draw from.

I don't think having your flavor wood on top is giving you what you are after. Mix some chips into your lump then try the wagon wheel approach with some splits. (it's kind of a time release sort of thing) If you are building a long burning fire try a second or even a third layer of splits. I still start barbecue fires in the center and give the coals some time to establish a good cooking fire before adding meat.

DSC07692a.jpg

DSC07343a.jpg

DSC01750a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "vertical burn".
    that's your answer.

put the chips where the fire goes.

think of it like a candle. light it at the top, it burns pretty much down.
    so add chips in among the charcoal vertically. add a little lump, some chips, siome lump, more chips, etc. until filled to the height you want it. light the fire (no chips on top when lighting). when the fire is burning clean and steady, add some chips and the meat.

the fire will find the wood as it burns if you have enough wood in the right place.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've never had much luck using chips since they burn up too fast. I mix a few chunks in with the charcoal when filling and add one on top when putting the meat on.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA