Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The "Small" vs. "Mini" Debate heats up!!

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RibeyeBalsamico.jpg
<p />I've been on the fence for some time now about wich size to buy![p]I see debates from time to time....each have their respective strengths and uses...both have their supporters!![p]My question....Is it a fair assumption to say the "Small" seems to have difficulty getting to the sear temps the "Mini" does?[p]I continue to see posts saying as much....(then people will chime in that it's operator error)....but still the perception remains.[p]Bottom line....will the "Small" sear like the "Mini" ??[p]Will it do this??[p]
Chubby[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• Chubby, you sure know how to make a man hungry early in the morning. druel druel

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Chubby,
    I added a small to the collection last summer and had no problem getting it hot. Now, I don't have a mini so I can't compare the two. But...I'going to get a mini cause, well, I just want to get a mini. Gotta have one. Looks like the ultimate steak machine to me!

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Chubby,[p]If you are only going to have one, then I'd get a small, but then again you'll always be able to get a deal at the Texas Eggfest next year.[p]Sweet looking breakfast you got there. I have two brisket flats smoking on the large right now. They'll be done in time for lunch. Hmmmmm Good.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    katman,[p]we got the small as a Christmas present to ourselves after consulting many folks at eggtoberfest, then we bought the mini off ebay. [p]I am going to do a couple of regular cooks to knock the new off them this weekend, then next friday, it's steak sear city. I am going to do one in the mini and two in the small and I'll tell you what I think.[p]I am so happy, I think I may weep...
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Chubby,
    I have a small, not a mini, but I can do 700°to 750° on mine fairly easy.
    Mine will sear quite well at these temps.
    Some people have had trouble with reaching much more than 500° on their smalls.
    I understand the mini is quick to peg the thermometer.
    I'd rather have the room the small offers, but to each his or her own.
    Bob

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    Chubby,[p]I can't help you with the small vs mini debate, but I was hoping you could help me with the story on how you got that steak to turn out like that....
    thanks

• Chubby
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Hey Ed!![p]The wind shifted to a "westerly" and I think I smelled your briskets when I went out for the paper!![p]Tell me Ed....have you had the small to sear temps...do you have the trouble others speak of?[p]Do the Seasonal boys sell the Small and Mini?[p]Thanks..[p]Chubby[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chubby,
    I don't think you will find a better searing machine than the mini. I have both, and for the hottest sear I always use the mini. Squid on the mini will melt in your mouth and blow your mind. And while the small can do a lot more things than the mini (I could not live without my small), you would be hard pressed to match the sear you get with a lava filled mini.[p]Beautiful job on the beef there, dewd. Crisp sunny day Steely Dan tunes to ya.
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chubby,[p]Ok this is a little off topic. What about searing on the large. I did a two NY Strips Tex Rex steak last week end on the Large. I could only get temps up to 650. I didn't follow the firebuilding technique. I just filled the fire box and use three weber starter cubes to light. it took about 30 minutes to get to 650 and wouldn't go any higher. It still turned out pretty good though.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    gdube16,[p]Fire heat is a result of enough fuel and oxygen. maximum heat requires a clean egg, clear air holes, and plenty of lump. [p]I routinely wrap the thermometer around past zero and start over again in my large. Try putting a blow dryer to the lower vent with the lid up. I use a little handheld fan (as seen in my profile picture) for just a few minutes to really get the fire going.[p]HTH
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    30_Ready_for_steaks.jpg
    <p />Not a problem with my small. Here's a shot of the inauguration TRex method of it at the 2003 Texas Eggfest.[p]Just make sure it is clean and start with fresh lump and she'll peg the thermometer every time.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Steely Dan Rocks!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Dude, you don't have a profile picture. Molly used to have one, but I think it is gona also.

• GrillMeister,[p]Yes they do!![p]BTW....I was surprised to see my pic of you... on your profile page!![p]Are royalties forthcomming?[p]Chubby
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    temp%20gage%20pegged.JPG
    <p />Chubby,[p]I have a Mini and a Small. I will say that I can get the Small up to 750, but it takes a little more work - well, that is, compared to the Mini, which goes into solid rocket propellant hyper lava mode in T-minus real quick - especially if you use a little fan to create some forced-draft assistance. Also, I've never wrapped the thermometer on my Small, but have done so routinely on the Mini. One last thing, the steak will sit closer to the coals on your Mini than your Small. Benefit of the Small, though, more cooking space if you want to sear a couple of steaks instead of just one or two real small ones.[p]The other question is, are you buying this Egg as your main cooking Egg, or just as your steak machine. If the latter, then go for the Mini. But if you want to do more cooking, AT LEAST get a Medium sized, and I'd have to strongly recommend you go ahead and splurge and get a Large.[p]Here are some pics of Mini in lava mode:[p]
    searing2.JPG[p]searing4.JPG[p]
    My two cents,[p]TRex

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Chybby,[p]I'll forward every one I get. LOL. OTH, you do get credit for the photo shot though. Good pic! Thanks.[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]That happened when the site got upgraded. No matter. I have a whole family to photograph anyway, so maybe this weekend the seven of us will sit for a picture and I can get it fixed...[p]I will keep you posted.
  • Chubby
    Options
    32ozChoiceCowboyRibeye.jpg
    <p />aka Mr. Earl ,[p]This was a 32 oz. Cowboy ribeye! The pic was after I had carved the bone for the cook!![p]I did a "reverse" t-rex on this one. Dwell first....sear at the end....you can do this with great results if the cut is thick enough and it produces a great crust!![p]I also use a espresso based rub for seasoning for steaks!![p]here's a few more pics.....Ready for lunch yet?[p]Chubby

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I'm sitting here counting on my fingers, glad I don't have to resort to the toe method.[p]1. You
    2. Your better half
    3. Princess ruler of the world, consumer of all things egged
    4. Large?
    5. Small?
    6. Mini?
    7. Chiminea?[p]If that's the case it would make a lovely web based Festivus card.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Man, you're good!! You oughta try out for that CSI: Lawrenceville show that is being casted right now.[p]Seriously, I think it's gonna be the new home page shot on my blog page, our website, and maybe my profile...unless of course I take that one with just me and the green kids!![p]I have a feeling Lauren is going to think that the mini is hers...
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]And by the way Bobby-Q, there is never a Festivus photograph until after the airing of grievances and the feats of strength...
  • Chubby
    Options
    BigDaddyGrillThang.jpg
    <p />GrillMeister,[p]....and I will split them with you as I recieve them!
    (Large smile thinge)[p]Here is an additional shot for your "Fans"!! Offered by me...to you...free of charge!!!
    (I am in the Holiday Spirit)[p]
    PS....Do the Seasonal Dist. boys in Austin carry the small....and it's accessories?[p]Chubby

• Chubby
    Options
    TRex,
    Holiday Greetings....[p]Long time no chat....looks like all is good with your new camera![p]Hoping this finds you and yours well this Christmas!![p]I am looking to use a small or mini as a "second machine"!! I'm picking up a Large this summer @ the Tex-Egg Fest!![p]Question....[p]Does searing with the lid up cook your gaskets?[p]Inquiring minds want to know!![p]Chubby

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Chubby,[p]I cooked all my gaskets a long time ago, but my lids still seal just fine.[p]While operating at lava temps, you will be less likely to cook your gaskets with the lid up than with the lid down.[p]Hope all is well with you and yours as well. [p]Merry Christmas and precongrats on the impending Egg purchase(s)![p]TRex
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Ouch. Nice pick after a long day-night-day of egging in 98 degree heat.[p]BBQ Outfitters, our sponsor of the Texas Eggfest carries the small and can get all the eggcessories.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer,[p]forgot to ask when searing do leave the lid open or closed?
  • Mark Backer,[p]Did you receive your replacement parts from Janet that you ordered for your Mini on the 10th???[p]Dave

• Mark Backer
    Options
    gdube16,[p]In my relatively short experience, I had been searing with the lid closed. However, after a brief but helpful confab with ObiWan T-Rex, I will try my next sear(s) with the lid(s) up. [p]Man...making those (s)'s to indicate multiple eggs really makes me very happy.[p]How sad is that?
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]I called her yesterday, they had been shipped via ups ground on the 14th and are due to be delivered at my casa today. They currently show as "out for delivery" as of 6:46am today, so I am pretty excited to get home. My mini, my small, it's parts, and my thermapen are all waiting for me. [p]And tonight, it's stuffed chicken breasts for the parents, so I will get to show off the thermapen as well...[p]Will the joys of the holiday season never end? ; )
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]I stand corrected. UPS.com lists the items as "delivered to MC Woman" at 1:08pm. I am calling the missus now to find out.[p]Please stand by...