Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoPen Clarification

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need to purchase a thermopen, however, not sure exactly what they can do. My (limited) internet search indicates they penetrate the meat about 1/2 inch. How is this applicable when cooking a turkey (OK, I am back in the turkey game after two failed smoked turkey (not Mad Max) attempts last year). How are folks measuring deep into breasts and thighs? Do you just poke the shaft further into the meat?

Closing - a good, no great, turkey is just a very poor substitution for a marginal slab of CWM ribs.....

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Spatchcock
    Options
    Yes, you just stick it in further. The half inch relates to the active temp sensing portion. You can see in pictures of it the thin part at the end, that is about half inch long, maybe a little more.

And its Thermapen, with an A ;)
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    When I cook a turkey in the oven, I keep an electronic thermometer probe in the turkey from the start of the cook. So I would recommend using a Maverick or equivalent to avoid having to open the cooker to check temp.

That is how I plan to do it when I cook my egg turkey.

I use my Thermopen mainly for checking smaller, quicker cooking things I grill, like burgers (espcially turkey burgers) steaks, poultry sausage, and boneless chicken breats. I try not to poke them too many times, because it lets quite a bit of juices out with each poke.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Go with a real Thermopen...there are some wannabe's out there. The reason is a 3-second read. Definitely an advantage when standing over the fire.
    B)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Dave give Mollyshark an email or start a post for her to sell you a new thermapen. She is the best deal in town. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    howmeisterg, Welcome to the forum. :)

I use my maverick and I have checked it's calibration and found it reads 10 degrees cold. No problem because I always check with my thermapen near the end of the cook for the final say. ;) Tim
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    You rang? Of course you use a Thermapen on a turkey. A big old maverick probe sitting in the breast doesn't give you much info on what is up with the legs. Send me an e.

mShark
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Will send an email with contact info in a bit, but for now let it suffice for me to say....

HOOK ME UP!!! :laugh: