Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of yall cover your BGE?

2»

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Of course they were made about 8 years apart, and they're not the same size, but what I noticed is that the pattern in the mold isn't even the same. It isn't just a matter of one being crisper than the other, the dimples are much larger in the newer one.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    I agree and thanks. The diversity and accumulated knowledge on this board is mind boggling.
    The fact that one can get a straight answer (well except for that stike fella, ahem)* to any question nearly instantly is, for me, the backbone of this forum.

john

*insert smiley face thingy here
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Some one had to hand model a "master" dome and base from which all molds are made. Dimples and texture will vary according to the mood of the modeler. :~)

john
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no. goober :laugh:

just the platitude-post is a funny thing, no matter who posts it...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Large, medium and small get Weber kettle covers when they cool to about 300. The mini is never covered.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I don't cover. Large lives in the garage when not used, and the small is on the back deck, but is in a table that stays under the roof, and is rolled out when in use. I just got the small, and have been wondering if I should cover or not. I'm leaning towards not...
  • I do but i am a newby to the egg. :blink:
  • Thanks everyone for all of your help! Like I said before this is the best forum!
  • no real need for a cover in Northern Cali ;)

Now, if I EVER get my table finished, I'll probably put a cover over the table, but as others have said, that's more to protect the table than it is to cover the Egg!!

:P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I keep the Large and Small under the patio cover (no soot stains on the ceiling, either) and they are out of all the weather. But it never gets below 40° here anyway.

But--for several years I kept the Large in a BGE cover out in the weather, winter rain and particularly the hot sunshine. (I use the Small almost all the time.) Finally the COVER died but the Egg was in A-1 condition. The cover cracked and split, so I moved the Egg under the patio cover where it gets grimy, but not out in the sun and rain. Now that the Large is so handy, I do use it a lot more. I don't bother to polish them up because if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    You don't need a custom cover . If you search google you will find dozens of manufacturers of lawn furniture covers a sofa size will cover that eight foot tablet...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    To answer the OP question, yes I have one cover and 2 eggs. sometimes one gets covered ;)

I have a three year old egg and a new egg. The older egg has smaller dimples and the words "big green egg" are indented while the new egg has larger dimples and the words "big green egg" protrude from the egg. Everyone comments the new one looks smaller but I think that is because one is in a table and one isn't. I may go measure them.
  • I have an egg that is 15 years old and has never been covered, in the Florida sunshine and salt.. Still looks like new. Replaced the band once.
    If you have a table, then you should cover that.
  • That would be like putting a housecoat on Gisele. Ok, maybe not that bad.....no, no cover.
  • Yes...I cover it, and the table,as it is a lot more simple then to shovel the snow!!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Yes, you need to wash it and apply eight coats of Turtle Wax and now they should look the same. :cheer: :whistle:
  • I cover mine. If I don't, water/condensation gets into the thermometer when it rains (which is often in the PNW) and ruins it. I've had to replace them several times.
  • How is it you all can leave them uncovered and not have your thermometers ruined? Ours has broken immediately every time it's been exposed to moisture.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've had mine for over a year and have rarely used the cover. Thermo gets some condensation in it (in the winter anyway), but has always worked fine. No moisture at all in warmer weather.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut