Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey a la John Ash

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who are believers in the John Ash brine for turkey (like me), and who misplace the dang recipe year after year, I've taken the frustration away for you this year and am posting it right here! THANK YOU CAT for posting this years ago!!!

Here's the brine. Plan ahead because this is best brined 3-4 days.

JOHN ASH BRINE

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup maple syrup

3/4 cup coarse salt

3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated, but not peeled, and bruised

6 large bay leaves

1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled fresh ginger

2 teaspoons dried chile flakes

1-1/2 cups soy sauce

3 quarts water

Handful of fresh thyme sprigs

Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely.

Rinse the turkey well, and put it in a large enamel, stainless steel or food-grade plastic pot or bucket. Cover with the cold brine and add more water if the brine doesn't cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine.

Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day. When you turn the turkey be sure to empty the brine out of the body cavity before you turn it or it splashes everywhere.

Comments

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    For those who have not tried this, don't worry, the flavor is pretty subtle even after 4 days of brining. The 1st time I used this brine, it was a major faithwalk because I imagined it COULD taste like terriaki turkey! lol Instead, it was the best turkey I've ever encountered. VERY moist and super tasty due to the hint of spice & aromatics in the brine.