Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT any veterinarians

Options
2»

Comments

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Changing vets is a touchy subject, but giving an NSAID and a steroid together is a big no-no that is beaten into everybody's heads. They each have the ability to cause GI ulceration, together they are worse. In all likelihood it would have been OK, but we avoid that except for some really rare situations.

Do you know about how much he weighs and how much Rimadyl you are giving him? Should be about 1mg per pound twice a day.

Would you happen to be near a vet school or a referral hospital? I'd trust them most of all, but they can run up a bill quickly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    the dose sounds right, 53 pounds on the scale and cutting a 100 mg dose in half once in the morning and once at night. third time for really bad advice from this vet though, time to change that. my last dog made the freakey old age of 18, they convinced me he needed a rabies shot, within three days instant kidney failure, i pretty much only bring the dog in when i know what he needs now, this time it was simply and anti inflamatory and a lyme disease test which came up at 140 dollars for the visit. there should be a place you can go just for what you know you need for your dog.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Sorry about that, animals tend to get over-vaccinated. Be careful with what you do with the results of the Lyme test, that isn't a great test and lots of dogs come up as false positive and get treated unnecessarily.

Where are you located?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    im up in methuen mass, on the new hampshire border due north of boston. seems everyone i know has a dog tested positive for lyme, mine tested negative for some unknown reason, almost thinking its because i didnt give him the vaccine years ago. kinda fiqured if the vaccine was not good for me then why for the dog :laugh: going to ask one of the interns where the vet school is and the kennel up the road where the better vet in the area is. thanks for your help, dog is looking much better, had to slow him down in the woods this morning, dont want him jumping on that leg yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    The vet school closest to you is at Tufts in Grafton, there is also Angell Memorial in Boston. Both places are top-notch.

Angell has a primary care department, where you can go for routine stuff, or for specific problems without a referral. I'd expect a higher level of care there, like not giving a dog a steroid injection with NSAIDs, or maybe letting the rabies vaccine slide on a 18 year old dog, especially if you voiced concerns. I'll see if someone knows of a place closer to you.

Angell Memorial