Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first babybacks

Options
nlsteve
nlsteve Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first low & slow cook on a ceramic grill, and I have learned a lot from this board and got a good result. Special thanks to the late Car Wash Mike and to his friends for posting his baby back rib recipe.
I basically followed that recipe, but went for a little higher dome temperature (250) to make up for a late start. Bumped up to 300 for the final 20 minutes. Total cooking time -- about 4.5 hours. Tender, succulent, not quite "fall off the bone" -- I was happy with it.

The rub was the "basic pork rub" from Chris Schlesinger's "Thrill of the Grill," which is a great book that provides an introduction to barbeque but is mostly about tasty grilled cooking. The sauce (only used on half the slabs) was "Sweet Baby Ray's," just because it was in the house. The ribs were spritzed a few times with 50/50 apple juice/cider vinegar.

Next time? Maybe a little more smoke flavor and a little more sweetness in the rub or sauce.

First attempt at including images failed. Sorry about that. Will try later.

Steve

Comments