Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st flank steak... one question...

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I searched the forum and two bits of advice kept popping up... "marinate" and "sear"... My question: Will searing remove any seasoning from the marinade? I know it burns off most of the spices (other than salt) in rubs.

I hope not because it's in a bourbon marinade right now.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Usually the heavy sugar rubs burn. I poke holes with a fork or jaccard and place in a ziploc bag for a few hours or overnight. Here is a recipe that I sampled at Eggtoberfest and it is to die for.

Flank Steak, Marinade, Kent BBQ

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 Lbs FlankSteak
    Marinade:
    1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 Cup Oil
    3 Tbs Dry sherry
    2 Tbs Honey
    1 Clove Garlic
    1/4 Cup Chopped Onions
    1 1/2 Tsp Ginger

PROCEDURE:
    1 Mix the marinade ingredients, add the flank steak and marinate overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for at least 4 hours. (A large Zip-Lock bag works great for this)
    2 Grill over high heat, 500°F+ about 4 minutes per side. After removing the flank steak from the grill, let it "sit" for approximately 15 minutes for the juices to rest, then slice diagonally against the grain for tender, juicy meat.
    3 Goes great with rice for dinner with a salad or with sliced French bread as an appetizer.
    4 Serve hot or cold.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish, Marinade

Cooking Tips
    Recipe can be doubled, tripled- In fact when we make it, I often multiply it by 7 or 8 as it is so popular and we cook 12#'s at a time.
    Two keys to getting it just right (in my opinion) is to use lump charcoal and once you sear it on one side, take it off of the grill and "dip" it in the marinate again before searing the other side. This slows the cooking process of the inside to ensure a nice rare/medium rare while still getting the char on the outside. The dip thing is a little messy at first until you get in "the groove" then you can dip and flip without a mess. You can also add a piece of soaked fruit wood (apple, cherry, pear, plum, etc.) to the coals if you like.
    Cheers!

Recipe Source
    Author: Brian & Marilyn Sessions

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '10, Kent BBQ, 2010/10/16
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi,

I marinade with some red wine vinegar & olive oil with oregano, marjoram, basil flakes, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, garlic powder. I let it sit for 4 hrs or more.

I find that the dried ingredients mix up really well for a quick marinade and settle in the grains of the flank steak.. I also hot tub my flank steak and then do a sear on a cast iron grid..
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    ID be less worried about that vs tenderness, I never get good results from flank unless I stir fry it personally.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09858a.jpg

Searing will definitely have an effect on the surface, so don't get too carried away with a super hot fire. Flank and skirt steak are naturally tough (hence the marinade), so don't try to cook it too fast. I generally make a bigger batch of marinade and reserve some for basting during the cook. (Don't use the marinade you used with the meat unless you boil it for 5 minutes or so)

The best advice is to go really long on your marinade time, unless there is something like lime or lemon juice in there. (it can make your steak mushy) I go at least a couple of days and longer if I'm using some of the Asian marinades.

DSC09864a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    I did this recipe last night. Wow, it was totally awesome. Didn't have honey so substituted 2T of brown sugar, and did not have any Sherry. Used a lot more garlic too. This actually marinated for a couple of days. Cooked on cast iron grate at normal height. Had some sticking problems on the first side, but the second side was fine. Figured it must have been because of the Brown sugar. Pulled at about 130 or so, and tented for about 10 minutes. 500-550* temp.

Easy, fast, delicious cook.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    I stumbled upon/discovered that searing flank at the end of the cook works best. Cook it direct low about 250-300 until you get it nearly the temp you want it (or about 5-10 degrees below). Then take the daisy wheel off and open the bottom for the last couple of minutes. It's also crucial to cut against the grain, thin and at a downward angle, about 45 degrees.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    The key is the slice...across the grain...For sure it will not be as tender as a filet, but hey $12 feeds a family of 4 so go figure...This is one of our most frequent cooks and the family loves it!!!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Mindful of the brown sugar in the marinade, I decided not to sear the steak. 90 min in the hot tub at 105° followed by 10 min per side raised direct at 375° produced a tender, tasty piece of meat. Bit of gray around the pink center that might be avoided by less Egg time at a higher temp but didn't want to burn the marinade.

Thanks again