Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bost butt, freeze then cook or cook then freeze?

stevesails
stevesails Posts: 990
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of buying some butt on sale, and wonder what is best way, freeze then cook at a later date or cook them up and freeze the coooked meat and reheat.

thank you.
XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• A butcher told me the FDA allows up to 4 freezings.

But I like to cook, then freeze once.

You loose a little each time piggy goes into the freezer.
  • I like to cook then seal in meal size.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I think the answer is completely dependent on your intended use. If you're going to cook for a crowd, my personal preference would be to freeze, then cook at party time. If you want "meals in minutes" portions, cook it now and then make portioned out bags ready to nuke and eat.

I have no science to back this up, only my own experience, and that would be that properly wrapped, it will hold better and longer in the freezer in raw form.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    If you have a foodsaver or some other vacuum sealer, I would cook it first. It's nice to be able to pull out a package of pp whenever you need it. Works great in burritos, enchiladas, soups, etc. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i pretty much try not to freeze raw meat. i would cook and vacuum pack, the vacuum pack is good for reheating in boiling water unlike ziplocks :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have both in my freezer, most always.
    As mentioned, it is great to have some ready to be rewarmed for a quick sandwhich or weeknight meal.
    IMHO, you cant tell the difference between freshly cooked pulled pork that was frozen prior to smoking and that which was "fresh". You can tell the difference between freshly smoked and frozen/cooked.