Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear

Options
Dukester
Dukester Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking steaks for me and the misses tonight, I like mine rare, a good sear usually cooks mine to perfection. Wife likes hers more on the well done side so I was thinking of roasting hers then cranking up the heat to sear them both. Couple of questions about this: what dome temp to roast? If she wants hers plated at 160* what internal temp should I stop the roast? Thanks in advance for your help and ideas

Comments

• Stuworld
    Options
    If she wants it well done - first make sure you replace her cut with a piece of select from the discount bin at your local grocer or Wally world.

Next, I would go nuclear on 2 levels with yours on the bottom for normal sear and hers up top. Kill the vents when yours is done and let hers keep roasting up top until it comes to temp. Yours can rest while hers comes to temp. Well done should be pretty leathery to begin with so don't worry about hers resting before plating. She can consider any drippings to be au jus. :evil:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    before I became a convert to hot tubbing I was a fan of reverse sear as I felt I had far better control over the outcome. Hang me boys if you want, but I could never understand the logic of the T-rex method. Now to answer your question a nice 250 to 275 roast worked for me and then I used my Thermapen to take it from there. Good luck and be sure to report your results!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    When doing the reverse sear, use a 250°-275° pit temp and bring the steaks to 100° internal, and remove them. this rest will allow the juices to distribute within the steak.

Allow the cooker to ramp up to searing temps, and toss the steaks back on.... cooking until your desired internal temp is reached.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    before I became a convert to hot tubbing I was a fan of reverse sear as I felt I had far better control over the outcome. Hang me boys if you want, but I could never understand the logic of the T-rex method. Now to answer your question a nice 250 to 275 roast worked for me and then I used my Thermapen to take it from there. Good luck and be sure to report your results!

Ron, When I cook a steak I sear it using my spider on the fire ring legs up at 400F dome. Then if my steak still needs more time to cook I will set my adjustable rig in and put the grid with the steaks on the highest position and keep watch with my thermapen.

When you say roast at 250 to 275F dome in what fashion on the grid.

Are you talking direct but up high in the dome?

Using a pan?...

Tim :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    LOL Tim - you sure go to far more trouble than I did when I was figuring the logic behind (T-Rex) of getting a rip roaring fire to do a quick sear and then quickly trying to back the temp off to finish. With the ceramic heat gain it doesn't make sense. OTOH by hot tubbing you get the internal meat temp up to about 100° before it even goes on for the quick and controlled sear which I like to do anywhere from 650° to 750° but even 600° works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.