Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cut 18" hole??

Options
Sawbones
Sawbones Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
whats the best way to cut a 18" hole for my MED BGE table?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sawbones,

What are ya cutting?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sawbones
    Options
    Steve

I have my table top built I just need to cut the hole out for the BGE.
    The top is made of 1" thick cypress boards.
    I'm going to use a sawsall or jig saw just not sure the best way to draw it out?
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Find the center then cut a 9" string with a pencil draw you circle and saw with a jig saw
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Find the center then cut a 9" string with a pencil draw you circle and saw with a jig saw
  • Fishbonz
    Options
    i used my router with a homemade jig
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Prob'ly too late, but put a push pin or nail at the center of the circle. Take a piece of wire and wrap it around the pin. Attach the other end to the saw at whatever radius you're going for. No line to follow. Perfect circle.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FL XL Egger
    Options
    I use a short piece of 1 X 2 scrap, first drill 2 holes 9 inches apart to fit a finishing nail, now drill one of the small holes to fit a pencil. At this point tap a finishing nail through the small hole into the center of hole in the table top. Insert pencil in larger hole rotate and draw.
  • GaryBushey
    Options
    I use a custom jig with my router and straight cutting bit. I can attach a screw in my centerpoint, adjust the jig for the length I need and have at it.
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Options
    For what its worth, I would use a router and a rotary trim bit to cut the hole, then use a round over bit to finish the edge. I have used a home made jig that attaches to the router to cut various size circles, it is much easier and cleaner that a jig saw.