Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix pizza dough, anybody use it

tsbrady
tsbrady Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Publix sells refrigerated pre-made dough in the bakery section does anybody know if it is any good. Have been using a basic cheese pizza from Harry's/whole foods and adding stuff to it but it is too big for my med stone and it burns the edges before it cooks the middle so I am looking for options other than making from scratch. I have a med egg so I could always get a Large!

Comments

• Yes there dough is very good. I have a small with a med. stone. Just me and my wife so I cut it in half and freeze the other. That way we each have three small pieces.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes we use it and it is good dough. just make sure you let it sit for 2-3 hrs so it can become pliable....not the 45 minutes that the bag suggests.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You're in Sugar Hill, right?

Go to the nearest Mellow Mushroom or Johnny's or Vito's and ask them for a large doughball. It will cost less than the one at Publix and will work much better for you. Usually $2 OR $3.

The Publix doughball is allegedly just their Italian bread dough. It works in a pinch, but there is much better dough out there to be purchased. Even Papa John's dough is better than what you get at Publix.
  •  
    Hi tsbrady

I have used it many times in the past. I no longer can due to diabetes but always thought it was a perfectly good alternative to making my own. It will store in the freezer just fine for a couple weeks without killing the yeast, just make sure there is no air left in the bag or those places may develop a tough skin. When defrosted it would always start rising again which I thought was pretty cool. It may not be as good as some of your homemade artisan doughs but I always thought the convenience and the quality were a great deal. :)

Blair

• tsbrady
    is the Vito's on Hwy 20 still open? Is there a mellow mushroom in Cumming? Looked for you and Vidalia at eggtoberfest to thank you for all the valuable advice you have given but the screen names on the badges were so small I could not read them! Got my BGE in July and it has been addictive! Now I want a large to go with my med.
  • Fidel
    There is a MM at the Town Center in Suwanee. I don't know about Cumming.

There is a Vito's by the Mall of GA on Hwy 20 in Buford.
  • tsbrady
    I forgot about the MM in Suwanee, I try to avoid Mall of Ga traffic is a mess, wife and I usually go towards Cumming rather than Buford, since the dam road is closed traffic is bad that way also
  • Fidel
    Dam Road opened up last Friday...just FYI.
  • Pizza dough is relatively easy to make. Make it 24 hours ahead of time and refridgerate to allow it to develop a nice flavor.
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Up until about a month ago, I cooked a pizza with Publix dough every week. The dough is pretty large, so I use some of it to make garlic roll appetizers before cooking my pie (I LOVE bread).

Now I buy my dough from a local pizza joint called "Taste of Italy" in Woodstock. It's much better and easier to work with and costs about the same.

The suggestion of going to Mellow Mushroom is a great idea! They have that delicious whole wheat dough.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Pizza dough is relatively easy to make. Make it 24 hours ahead of time and refridgerate to allow it to develop a nice flavor.
    While I'll agree it is easy to make; there is a learning curve. The thing is to find the right recipe. There are hundreds out there and most are so-so. One thing I learned is to weigh the ingredients and not measure them by volume. That makes for very consistent dough. Someone else posted about a cold dough; that is what I do. I use ice cold water which means I am making dough for tomorrow. It can be used a few hours later but is best if left in the fridge for 24hrs. Pizza dough can be freezed as well. Make a batch of dough and freeze whatever is not going to be used in the next couple of days. If your making pizza's a couple times a week, then buy flour and yeast in bulk. Those little 3 packets of yeast are about $2. A pound of yeast is $3.50 which is probably 100x cheaper. 50lbs of high protein flour is $16. Cost to make pizza dough is about $0.25 per pie. Pizza sauce will run another $0.15-$0.20 and cheese about $0.50-$0.75. Cost to make a plain pizza is cheap. Did you ever wonder how the owner of the Pizza Shop is able to afford the big gold jewelery?
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Use them all the time. Typically do pizza with the family on Friday nights and that is all we use now. In fact I have 3 of them in the fridge right now ready for tomorrow. I think they work great.
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    That is awesome! I never new Mellow would sell the dough balls. MM is my wife an I's favorite pizza joint. Love that wheat crust. I will definitely have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.