Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ClayQ Pulled Beef Report

Options
Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Always Smokin
    Options
    I DID ONE LAST WEEK AND IT TOO A ALOT LONGER TO GET TENDER TO PULLED
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    You will enjoy the samitches, great the next day as the smoke and spices mellow into a symphony of BBQ beef flavors.

Some chucks are loaded with fat. Better cuts sometimes called Arm Cut roasts or English Cut, ask your butcher. They should be well trimmed of outside fat, no bone and thick sliced, 2"+, Choice or better grade.

As it happens with this cook, more meat means a longer cook times in stage two. I will recommend going 300 degrees dome just to move this braising stage along and shorten the time it takes to get the meat to pull. Braising time for 5 pounds of chuck is not the same for 11 pounds, this I have found over the years of making pulled beef.

Any good covered pot will work for stage two, Dutch ovens work perfect. Graniteware and slowcooker crock pots work as well. A stainless stock pot would work, anything covered to trap steam. Aluminum foil when your in a pinch.

Once you get more familiar with this cook it becomes automatic although it still takes a day to make,...but what a good day it is. Vacuum bag and freeze for down the road dinners with friends, they will be impressed.
    Enjoy!

BGEClaysBBQBeef0002.jpg

BGEPulledPorkTenderloin0009.jpg

BGEClaysBBQBeef0016.jpg

BGEClaysBBQBeef0025.jpg
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    ClayQ - where can I get my hands on the recipe for this cook. Looks fantastic and need to give it a shot. :woohoo:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Jumping Joe,

If you can set a day aside for some fun with your egg this is a great cook and it's a recipe that will utilise the benifits of owning a ceramic cooker, in other words, makin great BBQ slow and easy in various stages with breaks in between to sit back and relax.

As you already read, I'm suggesting you go to 300 degrees dome in stage two if the meat stalls. This will help if there is more than 5 pounds of chuck. It must be said that you cannot rush the meat or you will pass through the plateau too quickly and THAT will not make you happy, let me tell ya. Monitor the internal temp with a probe with external readout so you know what's happening and you should be fine.

Go to Cookbook here above. Click on Beef recipes, find and click on Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ.
    The recipe is also at www.dizzypigbbq.com in customer recipes.
    Good luck, Have fun!

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

BGEClaysBBQBeef0017.jpg
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    Thanks....next Saturday's cook! Need to find some nice chuck roasts and I'll be set.