Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Help

Options
Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pizza tonight. Shold the plate setter legs be up or down. I assume down. At what temp should the dome be and what is a good cook time. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can do it legs up or down. If up, put a grate on the legs and then the stone. If down then put something between the ps and stone to create an air space. Obviously something that won't melt or burn (little green feet, copper plumbing fittings, foil balls or even 3 stacks of quarters would work.

Depending on the type of pizza, amount of toppings type of crust will very cooking temp and time. Without knowing all those things, I'd say go with 450-500 with a moderate amount of toppings and then just watch it close to see about time. You can leave the daisy off and look down the top vent and see the cheese browning. You can also take a peek at the crust while cooking. The egg will get back to temp quickly assuming it has had a good 45 minutes to get itself heated throughout all the ceramics.

Enjoy!
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I do legs up with the grate on top of the legs and my pizza stone on the grate. Everyone will have an opinion on the set up and temp although I usually do mine between 550 and 600 and sometimes hotter if the crust is thinner. If it's a thicker crust then I come off the temp a little bit. I put my dough on parchment paper and put it on the stone for a couple of minutes and then after the dough has firmed up, I will bring it inside and put on the toppings and then put the dough directly on the stone for another 6 or 7 minutes approximately.
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Options
    I personally do legs up with porcelain grid and stone on top of that. Ideally I like to get the egg settled at 500 - 550 with the stone in the egg warming up in the egg to that temp. Place the pizza with parchment paper under on the stone and cook for 10 - 15 depending on thickness and toppings.

For example, here is one that took 10 min.

DSC_0023_2.jpg

And here is one that took a little more than 15 min.

DSC_0024.jpg

The biggest thing is just give it try and learn as you go. The challenge is part of the fun.