Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider or Woo3

Options
Greenhorn Green Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spider or Woo3....if you could have one, which would it be? Which do you consider most versatile?

Thanks! ;)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That's kinda like asking if I would rather have a hat or a pair of mittens. Both do completely different things.

That said, the woo3 raises cooks to the gasket level, which I find give much better control and even cooking. I cook almost everything on a raised grid.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the woo3 has a built in wok insert, still i would want them separate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The main purpose of the spider is Wok cooking as it lowers the Wok below the fire ring for higher heat.
    It can also be used as a rack for holding your indirect pizza stone or drip pan but limits the air flow and amount of lump. (although some flip the spider)

The Woo3 will let you do more.
    Raised direct, wok, indirect by adding pizza stone or drip pan.
    The other plus to the Woo3 is you can lift the entire set up from the Egg to add lump or wood chunks.

The adjustable rig is the bomb but the Woo3 is just a simple, easy to use one piece product. Very similar to the Woo I use in my small Egg all the time. You will like it and the price is right. Send Tom an Email.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Woo3. I have not taken the woo3 out of the large since I bought it. It is used in all of my indirect and direct cooks. Its not hard to make a raised grid on your own though, some bolts and a weber 18.5" replacement grid is all you need. If you are handy, the spiders indirect setup can be made on your own as well. My brother and I made a spider like strap contraption for our Bubba Keg grills, they also work great in the egg. I am out of town right now, so I dont have a pic. It doesnt have wokking capabilities though. The woo3 works great for raising the grid, but if you want more flexibility, the ajustable rig/spider combo provides it. Good luck.
  • Super! Thanks everyone. Think it's a simple choice to go with the Woo. I will work up to other rigs :cheer:
  • Ordered the Woo and the wok. I'll be ready to wok and woo in no time..... OK sorry, that was pretty bad. :blush:
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We ordered the spider and the wok about two weeks ago. We have enjoyed the heck out of the wok! We just picked up a 13 inch cast iron grate and will be searing some steaks in the next day or so.

That said, I must confess that our current method of grilling raised direct is not longer working. We purchased stainless bolts, nuts, and washers, and attached them to our OEM grate some time ago. It is constantly tipping and shifting and overall just being a complete PITA. So, after much discussion, we ordered a Woo 3 Extender (basically a new grate with a ring that jacks it up to the level of the felt) yesterday. I have already received notification that it has shipped. (Gotta love the service from the Ceramic Grill Store!)

I will suggest that you read the suggestions regarding seasoning your wok before you start using it. We were too impatient, and started using it. Then we had to scrape it cleaning and season it. It made more work in the long run, and it is MUCH nicer to cook in now. =)