Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do people do when not egging...or what do you do for a living

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious what folks do when they are making the money to feed the Eggs, or what folks did before they retired and started egging full time.[p]I started out as a photographer at age 14, went to culinary school and became a Chef at age 23, was lured into the IT/Telecommuncations world at 31 and have been seeking a route back into food for the past year while I do the IT work that I hate.[p]How about y'all?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I fall into that category of IT work that everyone hates. However, I do sometimes have fun with IT work and it seems to pay well.
    I agree with you, there has to be something better.
    R&J

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Well, I'm at the car wash now, getting ready to fire up the mini for some lunch.[p]CWM
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Went to Auburn for management and finance, managed, then handled our IT database management "for a couple of weeks." [p]13 years later I'm still in IT and wondering why. Do you think dizzypig's hiring?
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Wow, the IT world is pretty well represented here. Guess I'll add to that a bit.[p]Second generation in the family business, I run it, my brother is a programmer for us. Selling accounting and Inventory package to a small nitch industry. Dad started the business in the early 70's, I took over the reigns in about 1993.[p]Troy
  • Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I work in sales for a company that manufactures industrial meshes/fabrics made from polypropelene and polyethylene. (We are currentlt making tan shade cloth for our troops in Iraq) The job is a typical 8-5 m-f. I like that I have every weekend off. Gives me more time to spend with my Egg!

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Me[p]Then- 6 years as an Armor (M1A1’s) Officer in the US Army, couple of years as a corporate slave.[p]Now, entertainment attorney in New Orleans, and Bed and Breakfast owner[p]Wife- Coordinator for the Louisiana Market Place at the New Orleans Jazz Fest and B&B Owner

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'm a technician at a power plant. Be nice or you may be in the dark!!![p]Happy Holidays!
    Jim

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I am a residential mortgage lender, and no, I didn't call you last night or mail you anything about refinancing!! lol
    I am fortunate to have a very loyal database and work on the referrals of past clients and real estate agents. Not a big fan of real estate agents, unless they have an egg of course.
    Seth

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    i'm a senior designer/ senior associate atta pretty good-sized firm in boston. have had the good luck to be involved on a lot of work. [p]also have a side gig doing architectural illustration too. here's a glimpse of the sidework....[p]

[ul][li]stike's cr^ppy illustrations[/ul]
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bobby-Q,[p]Retired run way model but still doing male stripping part time when I have extra time from my gigolo duties.[p]Dave
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]VP Sales for a textile waste reprocessing company. We make fiber for all types of applications, stuffing, padding, etc. That fiber in the gasket of the BGE probably originated here! Eggvis, we might be interested in buying your scrap![p]Jimbo[p]
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • stike
    Options
    Old Dave,
    from what i hear, it's more like "giggle-low"!

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    stike,
    So are you a registered Architect in the middle of all that as well?[p]Love the illustratons you've done.[p]My Dad was an architect before his passing, so I have a huge interest in all things architectual. :)

• egghead2004
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Ouch, IT again?
    Started @ 8 years old in the HVAC business with dad.
    Left and started my own HVAC in 1992.
    Had enough 2am Februrary no heat calls and went to IT/Help desk for Filenes in 98
    Moved to Telcom switch provisioner in 2000, like the job, hate the commute.
    Went through CHPT 11, no raises in 4 years, want to go do something else now, but I'm stuck here in my cubicle.
    Egghead since 7/04, love it, best job ever.[p]Anyone need a personal chef? Oh wait, what am I thinking this is the BGE forum.[p]

• stike
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    weeeeeeelll.... i am not registered. i'm a notorious procrastinator with regard to that.[p]you need 3 years experience full time to take the exam. i only have 18 or so. hahahahaha[p]within a firm like this, there's no 'need' to be registered, but it is a milestone one need's to kill-off.[p]it's not a goal of mine per se, but i should get registered. i cannot legally say "i'm an architect". but that's what i do in practice...[p]

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    i used to be in wine & liquor wholesale for 15yrs, but now
    i am a product design engineer for the largest pressure gauge & thermometer manufacturer, but my love is cooking & wished to be in the restaurant/ catering business (much more enjoyable)- maybe in the next life, since i am almost 60. I plan to retire @ 66 and then persue a second carrier in the food industry.

• Bobby-Q,
    I sue people. Actually, more often than not, I defend people who have been sued.

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Being a Cajun, I was born and raised knowing how to cook it seems. [p]To pay bills, I am an electrical engineer, specializing in construction industry. Design engineering for Residential and Commercial buildings somewhat, however, airport facilities (worldwide) is my company's specialty.[p]Cajun
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I'm a Environmental Engineer with a rather large consulting firm.
    DrR

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Started working fixing things, maintenace mechanic kinda guy, left the union job for IT with a company that manufactures tortilla and tortilla chip equipment for large volume producers, and live 3 miles from the house, Nothing to complain about that.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Plus, you get to eat, like, a lifetime supply of tortilla chips every day. [p]Man, my daughter'd take that job for free. Of course, she's two and a half, but still...
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    You mean other than running the Naked Whiz publishing empire down here in Eggaritaville? Well, I provide software support for the 4690 Operating System on IBM's retail store systems. Whenever a store anywhere in the world using an IBM retail system has a problem, I get to hear about it.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Man Whiz, that sounds like so much fun, I don't know why you even bother with the publishing empire. There's nothing quite as rewarding as retail sales system complaints :)
  • Julie R
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    By training, I am an elementary teacher and by trade I am an administrative assistant at Nutra-Flo Equipment Company (pays better and the kids are only bigger). We sell pumps, hose, pipe fittings, etc., and the Big Green Egg (long story on how this came about). Like you, I'm thinking about finding a route back into my first love.
    Julie

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I got ya one better than that. The Database that I help support (I am like a PM and hand holder and kicking stick) only contains all the circuit paths for AT&T and BT and all of their customers.[p]So if you're talking to the UK on the AT&T or BT network and all of a sudden you get a dial dropped tone, have comfort in knowing that I will be woken up within 3 minutes of that occuring and prolly won't get to go back to bed until well into the followng night.[p]It's not as bad as all that really..just feels like it at 4:00 in the AM on a Sunday....lol.

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I'm on the government dole! Caseworker for a US Congressman...if ya call your Member with a problem with a federal agency the casework staff are the ones who actually do the work. That's me! Been at it for 15 years. My degree is in social work.[p]Penny
  • Julie R
    Options
    Julie R,
    Forgot to add the stuff I get paid for in hugs and kisses. Mother of 4 kids ages 13-6, Brownie Girl Scout leader for a group of 11 6-year olds, president of the Preschool & Daycare center where I also do the accounts receivable, and wife of John for 14 years. Oh, and maid, cook, and taxi driver for this crew.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I am a graphic artist/designer, and have spent the past 20 years trying to make stuff look good enough for people to turn their heads.[p]Now I still do some of that, but I am migrating toward trying to make food taste good enough so people don't turn their heads. :-)[p]Mainly, I am a dreamer. And I wish I could spend all of my time outdoors.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Essex County
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I live in the ivory tower of academia! I'm a professor of finance at Northeastern University in Boston. Most of my teaching and research relates to investments and portfolio management. My large egg is without a doubt my best investment to date![p]Paul Bolster

• Bobby-Q,
    Another IT geek here, currently being held in a cell that slightly resembles a cubicle.[p]Unless I hit the lotto, it will probably be a life sentence. I just got to remember to buy a $#%! ticket more than twice a year.[p]Brews,
    Matt.