Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pizza Stone

Options
texas_archer
texas_archer Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone suggest a good pizza stone for a XL egg?

Thanks.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    I just got the BGE stone, I'm pleased so far. *Disclaimer - I'm a BGE newbie. It just fits the XL if you use the feet to raise it off the platesetter. It seems expensive but it is BIG and HEAVY.
  • texas_archer
    Options
    whats the thickness of the bge stone?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    large is 5/8". I assume the same for the XL, but can't say for sure since I don't have one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    Just measured my XL. 3/4" thick x 21" diameter. I believe it was $60 USD.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    BGE stone is made of the ceramics of the inside of the cooker, good as it shouldn't blow apart like some thin oven-suited pizza stones.
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    If you want to add another item to your list, try this.

Sassafras Deep Dish Pizza and Pie Baker (google it)

I have had very good luck making deep dish pizza in this on the egg.

My process is:

Place a layer of dough on bottom and up the sides. Fill with ingredients, place another layer of dough over the top. Thus making a pie.

Fill egg with fresh lump, start the egg, put in plate setter (inverted, feet up), place grid on feet, put pizza pie on grate, let the egg raise to, then maintain at, 500 - 550. Total time is about an hour. Pull off when inside temp is around 180. Let sit for 15 min. Enjoy.

Again, make sure you cook indirect. I forgot once and cracked one.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I have an XL EGG but purchased the "large" stone for it.
    I use the plate setter and set 3 BGE feet on it, then put on the large pizza stone. The large pizza stone is plenty big for me, I thought the XL stone was overkill.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com stones are great! I don't know the price difference between theirs and the BGE variety, but you won't go wrong with either one. :)
  • texas_archer
    Options
    Thats good to hear as I ordered two from them last night, along with the xl hanger and flip ring (thanks to the advise from Photo Egg).
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Their service is so good I'm surprised you don't already have them :P
    If you get the urge for a CI grid, check out www.cast-iron-grate.com, I use this on my LBGE with the accessorie griddle insert and love it! :cheer: